I Had Cosmetic Botox Injection a Month Ago, Now I Am Pregnant, is my Baby Safe? What Should I Do?

Botox and pregnancy one month later and safety

+1

there have been no reports that I'm aware of patients such as you who became pregnant one month afte rbotox and having unhealthy children born. Please discuss with your pediatrician / OB-Gyn.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. If you are experiencing a medical emergency proceed to your nearest emergency room.

Botox While Pregnant

+1

To my knowledge, there have not been extensive studies done on Botox during pregnancy, which is why physicians generally say that it is not advised during pregnancy. However, Botox remains localized to the area it was injected, and therefore your baby is unaffected by the product. Best of luck! 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Botox during Pregnancy

+1

Although it is not recommended to have Botox injections during pregnancy, botox injections stay within a very small area of the injection. The medicine does not spread systemically (throughout your body).The reason we do not recommend botox during pregnancy is that it has not been specifically studied. A month after your botox injection, the medicine is long gone. There is not reason to think that your pregnancy will be harmed.

Michael Horn, MD

Botox and pregnancy

+1

You should be just fine - the guidelines for Botox injection(s) are that it's not to be injected during pregnancy or lactation as you know, (based on the fact that there aren't any studies to evaluate it's affect on a woman's body during this time). There likely isn't any harm done, especially with a small amount of cosmetic Botox to your facial muscles. Be sure and keep your provider informed.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox injections and pregnancy

+1

Not to worry. When you have Botox injections, the Botox is localized to the area where it is injected and the toxin will not spread throughout the body. Since the Botox is localized, it should not pose a risk to the developing fetus. To be safe, I would not recommend having any additional injections while you are pregnant. Botox should not be potentially harmful, but sometimes it is best to play it safe. Thank you and best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Pregnancy shortly after Botox injections

+1

While Botox is not recommended when someone is pregnant or nursing, it should have no affect on your baby at this point. Any amount of free drug itself is likely long-gone from the body and the rest that is bound up and inhibiting your neuromuscular junctions will not cause any problems. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Botox and Pregnancy

+1

This happens all the time. It's totally ok. Don't panic and have a wonderful pregnancy. You and your baby will be just fine.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Pregnancy after Botox

+1

You have nothing to worry about.  Many many women get pregnant within months after getting Botox injections. It will have no effect on the baby. We recommend not getting injections after you are pregnant because there have been no studies about this.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Botox just before pregnancy

+1

This has occurred countless times over the past 20 years of Botox use and there has yet to be a problem, so be assured that everything will be fine in this regard. That said, I wouldn't actively recommend Botox during pregnancy or nursing.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox just before pregnancy? Should be safe...

+1

While there is not any data about Botox in pregnancy, you should not worry about any damage to your baby.  The dose of Botox is very small and so there should be little if any in your system and little, if any, exposure to your baby.

That being said, I would not plan on your next injection until after your have delivered.  Congratulations and I hope you have a great pregnancy

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon