I Had Cosmetic Botox Injection a Month Ago, Now I Am Pregnant, is my Baby Safe? What Should I Do?

Botox and pregnancy

Thank you for your question. I would not worry too much if you had Botox and found out you were pregnant. Botox works locally where it was injected and the dosing is very small. The makers of Botox would never consider sponsoring a study to see the safety of Botox during pregnancy or breast feeding as it would be too risky for them. Likewise, for physicians. I generally provide reassurance for situations like yours and I do recommend that you stop any future injectable treatments until either the baby is born or until after breast feeding. I would also let you OB know that you had a Botox treatment during pregnancy so they are aware.

Botox and pregnancy one month later and safety

there have been no reports that I'm aware of patients such as you who became pregnant one month afte rbotox and having unhealthy children born. Please discuss with your pediatrician / OB-Gyn.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. If you are experiencing a medical emergency proceed to your nearest emergency room.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox While Pregnant

To my knowledge, there have not been extensive studies done on Botox during pregnancy, which is why physicians generally say that it is not advised during pregnancy. However, Botox remains localized to the area it was injected, and therefore your baby is unaffected by the product. Best of luck! 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Botox during Pregnancy

Although it is not recommended to have Botox injections during pregnancy, botox injections stay within a very small area of the injection. The medicine does not spread systemically (throughout your body).The reason we do not recommend botox during pregnancy is that it has not been specifically studied. A month after your botox injection, the medicine is long gone. There is not reason to think that your pregnancy will be harmed.

Botox and pregnancy

You should be just fine - the guidelines for Botox injection(s) are that it's not to be injected during pregnancy or lactation as you know, (based on the fact that there aren't any studies to evaluate it's affect on a woman's body during this time). There likely isn't any harm done, especially with a small amount of cosmetic Botox to your facial muscles. Be sure and keep your provider informed.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox injections and pregnancy

Not to worry. When you have Botox injections, the Botox is localized to the area where it is injected and the toxin will not spread throughout the body. Since the Botox is localized, it should not pose a risk to the developing fetus. To be safe, I would not recommend having any additional injections while you are pregnant. Botox should not be potentially harmful, but sometimes it is best to play it safe. Thank you and best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Pregnancy shortly after Botox injections

While Botox is not recommended when someone is pregnant or nursing, it should have no affect on your baby at this point. Any amount of free drug itself is likely long-gone from the body and the rest that is bound up and inhibiting your neuromuscular junctions will not cause any problems. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Botox and Pregnancy

This happens all the time. It's totally ok. Don't panic and have a wonderful pregnancy. You and your baby will be just fine.

Pregnancy after Botox

You have nothing to worry about.  Many many women get pregnant within months after getting Botox injections. It will have no effect on the baby. We recommend not getting injections after you are pregnant because there have been no studies about this.

Botox just before pregnancy

This has occurred countless times over the past 20 years of Botox use and there has yet to be a problem, so be assured that everything will be fine in this regard. That said, I wouldn't actively recommend Botox during pregnancy or nursing.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon