I Am Confused with What Kind of Nose I Want? (photo)

hey please i need help.. am goin in for rhinoplasty consultation on tuesday but am a bit confused with what i want. I think a smaller nose with some projection will work fine but please you are the experts, please advise me what kind of nose will be perfect or very good for my face.. I have attached some pictures below

Goals of African American rhinoplasty

+2

Computer imaging may be helpful in visualizing what kind of changes to your nasal appearance you like.  Narrowing the base of your nostrils and softening the tip of your nose by making it more defined will give your nose a more balanced and attractive appearance.  

Rhinoplasty - What kind of nose would look best?

+2

First off don't worry unnecessarily about this concern. Look at photos of other African American men to identify what you find attractive about their nose. Also, be articulate about what features on your nose you would like to change. It helps the surgeon to know your desires so that he can tailor the surgery to your wishes as much as is possible and desirable. Most patients have reasonable goals but expectations frequently need to be tempered by the surgeon due to specific characteristics  of your nose that may may changes more difficult to attain. If you have reasonable goals, based on your photos, I would say you could refine your nose by narrowing it and defining the tip better. If you find an experienced surgeon you can communicate with you will most likely be rewarded with a nice improvement in appearance. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Rhinoplasty, pre-operative evaluation, perfect nose

+2

Your question is very common and we frequently hear this. "Doc, do what you need to do!"  The issue is that there is no perfect nose.  There are some traits exhibited by a nose that are considered desirable, bring harmony and make a nose look and face look more organized.  These are all somewhat nebulous terms though.  There are characteristics that may make a nose look awkward, disorganized or draw unwanted attention.  These are nasal traits you may want to have addressed.  The first step is for YOU to make the determination if there is something in YOUR mind that warrants a look at correcting.  Its a personal choice and your opinion on the matter is key.  Others should not be the key instruments in determining whether or not your nose may need to be corrected  or what traits may need attention.  Its a very important personal decision.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American rhinoplasty is a specialized procedure

+1

Dear Temitola92,

Thank you for the question and the pictures. In our own practice we have a great deal of experience with African American rhinoplasty and are often posed with questions very similar to your own. In general it is important to understand that the front view is the most important in real life as that is where we face people and address one another. In your picture, what I would say is that the front view, particularly at the tip and nostrils, you are a bit too wide and this is causing your nose to dominate your face.

Unfortunately, many surgeons are not comfortable in dealing with the excessive width of the tip and nostrils and will instead speak to you about building up your bridge. I think it is important for you to see a rhinoplasty specialist who has experience with African American rhinoplasty and does computer imaging so that you can really get a sense of what surgery can accomplish.

Regards,

Peyman Soliemanzadeh, MD

Peyman Solieman, MD