I Had a Breast Reduction 25 Days Ago, When Can I Start Using Silicon Gel and is There a Better Option?

I also wanna know, when can I start taking a dip in the pool? and is it okay to tan with my swimsuit on??

Silicone Gel and Breast Reduction Scars

+1

I recommend silicone gel strips in all patients who have histories of poor scars in the past. Usually at about 3-4 weeks it is safe to to apply to the healing incisions. The general recommendation is to use the strips for at least 3 months 24/7. 

With regard to swimming, as long as your incisions are fully healed at 1 month, it's usually ok to get in the pool or take a soaking bath. But, as far as swimming laps are concerned, I defer that recommendation to your plastic surgeon. 

If you plan to sit out in the sun, you should apply a high SPF sunscreen (30 SPF or higher) to the scars even if you are covered by a suit. Early postoperative sun exposed scars tend to become hyperpigmented.

Thanks for your question!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Breast reduction post-op

+1

First, as for silicone sheeting you want to wait until the incisions have healed, but I would defer to your plastic surgeon.  As for swimming again you want everything to be healed and in my practice I tell patients not to engage in vigorous workouts for 6-8 weeks. Again you should ask your surgeon.

Returning to Activity after Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. For return to specific postoperative activities you will be best off checking with your plastic surgeon. He/she knows exactly how you are progressing and is ultimately responsible for your care.