I Am 5 and a Half Weeks out from Full Tummy. Look at All the Extra Skin. Is This Normal? (photo)

Full tummy tuck surgery October 31st 2012... I feel like I should have this much skin... My dr says he had to leave some skin behind to close me back up ... But I feel like its excessive.. At my last post op he told me he would lipo my stomach area in the spring and it will look much better.. I'm so confused and discouraged.. Not to mention I hate my belly button and he says it looks fine... I also asked him if I was going to need a revision and he again said no... Help!!

Too Much Excess Skin Following Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Judging from your 5 week post operative photographs, you appear to have a significant amount of excess upper and lower abdominal skin. Usually with a full tummy tuck all of the skin is removed between the belly button and the pubic area where you have your lower scar. Usually there is not a short vertical scar connected to the umbilicus. Because of this, it appears that a limited or mini tummy tuck was performed. After all of your post operative swelling has gone away, you should re-evaluate the amount of skin and abdominal muscle laxity with your surgeon and see if further surgery with additional skin removal below your umbilicus can be removed. At the time of revision surgery a new smaller youthful "innie" belly button can be created. Liposuction alone will most likely create more loose skin and compound your problem. Best of Luck.

Loose Skin after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Did you have any vertical scars on your abdomen prior to surgery?  Preop photos would help, but I can envision a situation in which your result could be obtained with the scar below the belly button.  That being said, more loose skin could be removed.  Give the result time to heal first.

Concerns after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although I do not mean to be critical of another surgeon's work, I do not believe that your result is “normal” or ideal. Even though you are only 6 weeks out of your procedure, I think that you should have some peace of mind that revisionary surgery will be helpful to you. This procedure will likely involve additional skin removal and revisionary surgery of the umbilical area.

If your plastic surgeon was not a board-certified plastic surgeon, I would strongly recommend that you seek consultation elsewhere.

Post

+1

You are still very early in the post operative period. Have you had a lot of weight loss? Preoperative photographs would be great also

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Too early to decide !!

+1

You should follow recommendations of your board certified plastic surgeon but you may need a revision and some lipo in the future.

C. Andrew Salzberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Too much skin after abdominoplasty

+1

I would agree that this appears that it will be a less than optimal result. It is early but I expect you may need a revision to get the results you want. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon with a portfolio of before and after photos ans a list of patients who will speak with you. The referrals of previous patients are your best guide.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy With Tummy Tuck Results

+1

Your tummy tuck result does appear to be less than optimal with the loose remaining skin and the vertical scar below the belly button. But without seeing your before surgery pictures, that is a judgment based on incomplete information. While you no doubt have improvement and have had an uncomplicated course, your surgeon may have played it very safe with an underresection of abdominal tissues to ensure good healing. It would be important now to let everything heal and re-evaluate at six months after surgery. Further improvement can be obtained but whether it is by liposuction alone, more skin resection or some combination (most likely) remains to be seen.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Dissatisfaction with tummy tuck result

+1

I would like to see your preop photos before rushing to judgment.  First, remember that you are still in the early healing phase and that additional skin tightening can occur.  Second, if you have lost a profound amount of weight, your skin may be so loose that a secondary procedure may be required.  Excess skin is not excess fat and, if this is the case, then liposuction would not be indicated.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Severe Skin Laxity May Have Impact on Tummy Tuck Result

+1

Thank you for your question. I can appreciate your concern as the findings you are experiencing are objectively less than ideal.  This is not typical after a tummy tuck.  Having said that, it is impossible to give you a clear answere without first seeing your preop photos.   Patients who have experienced massive weight loss, severe sun damage, or collagen abnormalities can experience recurrence of skin laxity.  You should discuss these issues with your surgeon and discuss the need for revision. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal after a full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. If I would not see the very long lower abdominal scar, I would think these are your preop photos. Did you have your surgery done by a board certified plastic surgeon or someone who calls him/herself a cosmetic surgeon? In my 22 years of practice, I've never seen a postop like yours, and I don't care how bent forward you are. You do not have extra fat on the abdomen (can't evaluate the back from these views). Liposuction will not help you. You will need another tummy tuck done correctly. Need muscle plication to bring the recti muscles close to the midline and remove the excess skin including that large belly button with the vertical scar (?) See a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON for another opinion and evaluation. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon