I Am Afraid That I Might Have Torn the Stiches from Overeating and Filling my Tummy Too Much?

When I left the hospital, my stomach was flat and after a day or 2 I started feeling really full like my stomach was going to explode. I also had the coughs and sneezes for a few days which was so irritating and scary as I didnt want to pop any stitches. I had'nt been to the toilet for 4 days but carried on eating as I was so hungry and even after finally going I still feel so full and my belly button feels like its going to pop. 3 weeks PO I feel and look like Im pregnant , is this normal ?

Popping a Tummy Tuck Suture

+2

The best recommendation that I can give you is to follow up with your plastic surgeon for an examination.  Disruption of you muscle sutures is best determined by a thorough examination.  You may need to have a bowel movement which can be stimulated by a laxative.  I would recommend a stool softener as well. 

Dr. ES

Concerns about Tearing Stitches after Tummy Tuck?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. Although I cannot give you precise advice online, you should have some peace of mind that it would take significant pressure to break  sutures that are typically used to re-approximate abdominal wall muscles during the tummy tuck operation.  It may also be helpful to know that many patients do feel very “tight” after eating. The majority of patients who feel that they have “broken stitches” have not…

Given your concerns, you will be best off following up with your plastic surgeon ( called to arrange an earlier appointment, if necessary). Your plastic surgeon will be able to give you much more precise advice after direct examination. He will also be able to rule out issues such as seroma etc. or determine whether you are expensing normal swelling.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm