I Just Got Active Fx Co2 Laser Treatment Have Acne Prone Skin That is Olive..How Do I Prevent Breaking Out?

First off it is only day two, and I am very apprehensive about the recovery time and results. I now know after the procedure is done that it probably wasn't the smartest treatment choice, due to the likely possibility that my very sensitive acne prone skin will break out and have hyperpigmentation. The post care includes a vinegar water soak 3-4 times a day and aquaphor application. The aquaphor application may cause me to break out, any suggestions on alternative after care?

Active FX Treatment After Care

+1

Thank you for your question. Make certain that your acne is controlled and be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist so that you get the best results possible. It is imperative that you also wear daily sunscreen with zinc to prevent hyperpigmentation.  I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Acne flares after CO2 laser treatment are common but respond well to treatment

+1

The reasons that acne may flare are related to heating the follicular ducts leading from the oil gland causing temporary small plugs that block the opening of the gland and trap bacteria that cause acne as well as the occlusive nature of the ointments used after the procedure.Aquahore is rather thick and occlusive. Using SkinMedica's Restoratve Ointment would be better as it is a vegetable oil based ointment with some anti-oxidants present as well. I would also recommend taking minocycline 100mg twice a day for the first month after treatment

Richard Fitzpatrick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon