I Am 8wks Po from a Tummy Tuck & Have Upper Abdomonal Swelling/bulge - is Thats Normal?

Since day 1 post op, i've had a V shaped pocket of what i thought was swelling & my PS told me it was swelling, but now that i'm 8 wks post op, it's still there & i'm worried that it's either a pocket of fat left over (he did do lipo on the front of my tummy) or that i may have torn some internal stitches. Also, should i be able t feel a gap in my abdominal muscles after muscle repair? or shouldn't there be any gap at all afer a full tummy tuck. Thanks

Muscle repair undone?

+1

It is hard to know from your post but if you think the sutures have come undone that you should see your plastic surgeon. The only way to know is to do a proper physical examination.  You should expect the healing to continue for at least 6-9 months before deciding to undertake any further revisions. Visit with your plastic surgeon and relay your concerns.

Several possibilities

+1

Thank you for the question.  There are many potential sources of the irregularity you describe.  Some of these potential sources are easily corrected such excess fat and some like the need to repair the abdominal wall will require redoing the entire tummy tuck.  Discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon and come up with a satisfactory plan as there is no reason to have a significant contour irregularity if it bothers you and it can be corrected.
Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Upper Abdomonal Swelling/bulge

+1

All the things you mention are possibilities, and impossible to begin to conjecture about without at least a photo. Nothing approaches, however, the usefulness of an actual in person exam, so I think your best bet is a visit to your surgeon for evaluation. Do consider attaching a photo to this inquiry.

Thanks and best wishes.