I Am 74 Years Old and on Bloodthinnners for AF is It Safe to Have a Facelift?

10 years ago I had a facelife which was very successful. I had gone off my blood thinners 5 days previous to the surgery. The plastic surgeon did a remarkable job but said he had a lot of problems with bleeding. I felt fine. I was going to get a filler, which I also had about 18 months ago but the plastic surgeon suggested I consider a second face lift. Is this advisable?

74 year old and risk of facelift surgery

+1

There certainly is no problem performing a secondary facelift; however, I would obtain both medical and cardiac clearance and again determine when and if you can stop your blood thinner. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Bloodthinners risk with facelift surgery

+1

I would discuss this in detail with your cardiologist. You need to know what risks you would face from the blood thinners. In addition to fillers, other nonsurgical options could include C02 laser skin resurfacing or other laser procedures.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

I Am 74 Years Old and on Bloodthinnners for AF is It Safe to Have a Facelift

+1

Since safety during surgery is the mainstay of our practice you should discuss the discontinuation of your blood thinner with your cardiologist and surgeon prior to undertaking the surgical procedure of face lift.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Is It Safe to Have a Facelift if I am on Blood Thinning Medicines?

+1

Dear obie38,

Safety is always the number one priority when it comes to elective cosmetic surgery.

You should discuss the potential benefits and risks of going off your blood thinning medicines with both your cardiologist and surgeon. Depending on your specific condition and history, you may or may not still be a potential candidate for a facelift.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Stopping blood thinners treating atrial fibrillation for the purpose of the facelift is not a good idea.

+1

I certainly applaud anyone's effort to look and feel their best. However cosmetic surgery is always elective. I don't think that interruption of treatment for a significant medical problem justifies elective cosmetic surgery.

Blood-thiners and face lift

+1

You should ask your doctor about the potential risk of being off your blood-thinners before and after the face lift surgery

Sam Naficy, MD

Blood thinners and considering facelift surgery

+1

The first and foremost thing to consider before any surgery is your safety. Coming off blood thinners before an elective cosmetic surgery is not advisable. The reason you are on the blood thinners is likely much more important then facelift surgery I would seek the opinion of your cardiologist and/or primary care physician before making any choices about coming off any blood thinners.  

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blood thinners and facelift

+1

You can not have a facelift while taking blood thinners. These would need to be stopped before surgery but you would have to ask your medical doctor to authorize this.

Blood thinners and secondary facelift.

+1

The first thing to consider is your safety when off blood thinners.  The physician who put you on the blood thinners would need to clear you for surgery and make recommendations about when to stop and restart your medication.  You would need to accept a slightly higher risk of  complications, surgical and otherwise, for the secondary facelift.  Done meticulously with close follow up with all your doctors, a secondary facelift should be able to be done.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Health and safety should always come first, especially for cosmetic surgery

+1

"First do no harm" is attributed to the Hippocratic Oath. Although it isn't specifially stated in that oath, the principles always apply. Your health should come first. Any patients who are on blood thinners or have any other medical condtions should always be "cleared" for stopping medications and having surgery by their primary doctors or cardiologists. If there was excessive bleeding during a procedure in anyone, it might be prudent to get an evaluation for a clotting disorder, even if minor. Remember, cosmetic surgery is purely elective. It's not like a necessary hernia repair or worse.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD