I Am Almost 70 Years Old, 5'7 and 180 Lbs. Is This Too Old to Consider Breast Reduction? 40DD

I am almost 70yo - 5'7" and 180#. Is this too old to consider breast reduction?

+2
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Too old for breast reduction/lift?

+1
Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a breast reduction or lift surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis. If you are having back pain, neck pain, bra strap grooving, rashes under the breast fold, or just desire a breast lift, meet with a highly qualified surgeon.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction at 70?

+1

Age is less of a factor in being a candidate for surgery than overall health.  As long as you are generally healthy (we may do testing to be certain) you should be fine for a breast reduction operation.  During your consultation we can discuss your overall health and the reasons you are interested in breast reduction surgery, then we can discuss the best way to move forward, what size you want your breasts to be, and what surgical technique would serve you best.  We specialize in the short-scar technique, also called the lollipop incision for breast reductions.  This reduces scarring and often provides patients with a shorter recovery period after surgery.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Too Old for Breast Reduction?

+1

I have done breast reduction surgery on women your age and they have done very well. Their only complaint is that they wish they had done it sooner! As long as you are in good health you should have no problem. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Breast Reduction at Age of 70?

+1

Assuming you are in good health you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations performed, regardless of the patient's age.   In your case, you may want to see your primary care or internists prior to consultation with a plastic surgeon. Ask for a medical workup ( history, physical, EKG…) and make sure that you are medically “optimized".

Then seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly. I prefer the use of goal pictures in this communication process.  Most patients seeking this operation wish to have their breasts reduced enough to help decrease/alleviate symptoms but retain enough breast tissue to  retain upper and lower body proportionality.

Hopefully your only regret after this operation will be “I wish I had done it sooner”.