I Am 68 and Petite, I Have a Chicken Neck and Jowels. Would a Neck Lift Be Enough to Help Give Me a More Youthful Appearence?

I am 5' and weigh 122

Neck Lift Alone Will Not Correct Jowls

+3

A Neck Lift will tighten your neck but will not improve the jaw line and jowls.

Take your hands and push up on the neck to tighten the neck. Do you see the excess skin which has been pushed up onto your jaw line. Just doing a neck lift will leave this excess skin pushed up onto the jaw line.

You will need at least a lower Facelift in addition to the neck lift. A full Facelift would be your best option.

Neck lift not enough

+2

From your photos it would not appear that a neck lift alone will be enough to give you a great result.  A facelift (cheek and neck lift) is more what you look to need because you show changes in the cheeks, jawline, and neck.  Actually, a neck lift alone is rather rare.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Face and Neck Lift for Neck and Jowls

+1

A face and neck lift is a far more powerful tool than neck lift alone and has applicability to a far greater number of patients.

At age 68, facelift and neck lift should be done together.

+1

Hi.

Everything sags together beginning at the cheek bones.  So it does not make sense to try to lift the lower part (neck) only.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Neck lift will not address jowls

+1

At 68 years old a neck lift will not do anything for the excess skin that is present.  A face/neck lift is the proper procedure.  Excess skin is tightened in the neck and jowls, fat is removed from the neck, and tightening the platysmal muscle in 3 locations.  There will be a significant amount of excess skin at age 68 and a lower face/neck lift is the appropriate procedure.

Neck lift - expected results

+1

From your photo, I'd recommend a combined facelift and necklift.  Combining the two operations will allow you to blend the two areas better.  Although it is more expensive the outcomes are spectacular! 

Best wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Neck lift alone OK but not best option

+1

If one part of the face is rejuvenated in excess of the rest it may at times draw attention to the parts that were not rejuvenated.  This is why we often perform a comprehensive facial rejuvenation for optimal balance and harmony

Sam Naficy, MD

Is a neck lift enough for me

+1

A neck lift is good at addressing banding in the neck from a sagging platysma muscle. It is not effective at addressing jowls. A facelift is the most effective way to lift the sagging fat in the cheeks that creates the jowl look. In your case, I think you would be best served with a facelift and a neck lift as a combined procedure which is a very common procedure.

Todd C. Miller, MD

+1

Aesthetically speaking, from the photo provided, the face shows excess fatty tissue of the face and neck along with flat cheeks and excess skin.  A necklift performed alone would not be able to rejuvenate the upper face and would result in pleats of excess tissue immediately below the ear lobes.  For a naturally more attractive, feminine and youthful face the following issues should be addressed by a plastic and cosmetic surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive face.

1.  Minimal Incision Face Lift to tighten SMAS and remove excess fatty tissue and skin of the face and neck.
  2. Cheek Implants or fillers (I prefer Perlane to shape the cheeks)

Hope this helps.

Necklift vs. Facelift

+1

Not all neck lift procedures are the same. The answer to your question therefore depends a bit on what the particular surgeon does during the procedure.  For example my standard neck lift includes:

• Liposuction beneath the chin and of the jowls
  • An incision around the earlobe and on the back of the ear
  • Re-supporting the deep tissues
  • Removing extra skin

While this will improve the appearance of your neck to some degree, you'd best be served by a facelift.  A facelift will address the extra skin and jowls much more effectively and give you the rejuvenation you're looking for!

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon