I Am 6'1, 164lbs, Slim and Athletic. I Am Trying to Decide Between a 350 Cc Implant or a 400 Cc?

The implant will be silicon and under the muscle. I want a natural look and I am also concerned about the new size interfereing with my running and other athletic activities.

The difference is minimal

+1

To put this into perspective, 50ccs is less than 3 ½ tablespoons.  Without any other information such as current breast size, I would expect that at your height and weight, a 400 cc size implant should be proportionate for your frame.

Silicone Implants 400 cc under the muscle

+1

Congratulations on the upcoming surgery and the decision to go with 400 cc.  Usually, taller women can tolerate larger volumes.  Good luck.

350cc or 400cc

+1

Thank you for your question. It is impossible to properly choose the right breast implant size without an examination. That being said, the best way to chose the proper implant is to think three dimensionally. Select an implant whose width matches that of your chest. Given your height, I would guess that this would be closer to the 400cc implant. 

Since you are trying to look natural and are a runner, I would likely stay with a moderate profile implant. This will limit the weight of the implant and likely not interfere with your athletic endevours. 

I would discuss your thoughts with your plastic surgeon. Keep in mind that the 50cc different is subtle and will not be noticed by most people.

Best of luck with your breasts.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

350cc or 400cc?

+1

Take into consideration that 50cc is only 10 teaspoons!  Assuming the diameter of the 400cc implant fits your breast diameter, I would almost certainly go with the larger. Of course a direct examination would be needed for me to advise you with certainty. Best of luck!

Andrew Stewart, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Implant size selection to achieve your goals

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implants and athletics

+1

Most of the patients that I have are pretty athletic and lead active lives.  It will take about 6-8 weeks for you to get back to that lifestyle, and most patients are just fine.

Smaller Size in Athletic Breast Augmentation

+1

When deciding between 50cc in implant size at your height and weight, I do not think it makes a big difference either way. That is less than a 15% difference between the two sizes in volumes. Since you are athletic and physical activities are important to you, your biggest risk is that you don't want to be too big. Therefore, I would always go with the smaller size of the two choices in the athletic breast augmentation patient.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Best Implant Size

+1

Hi mvelosa,

You have a large frame so either size will probably give you a "natural look" without being "too big".

• A more detailed answer would depend on the shape and base width of your breasts. Then a recommendation on profile type (high, moderate, or low) and size could be made.
  • Try to find before/after pictures of patients with your breast shape and frame size to help you decide on implant size.

Thanks for your question and good look!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Which implant

+1

always difficult to say without seeing what we are starting with.however,  if you are starting at an a or a small b   go with the 400.  at your height and weight you can handle it.   60% of my patients come back 6 months later and say they wish they had gone a little bit bigger.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Deciding between 350cc vs 400cc Implants

+1
I believe that you will be able to achieve a natural look with either sized implants. The 50 cc difference between the implants you are interested in is less than 2 ounces, which is not significant in someone as tall as you. With either implant you should be able to continue running and participate in all kinds of athletic activities that you enjoyed before surgery. 
Thanks for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD