I Am a 47 Year Old with Small Sagging Breasts That Barely Fit into an A Cup Bra. Am I Too Old for Breast Augmentation?

I am 5 feet tall I weigh 115 pounds. Athletic build.

Is 47 "Too Old" for Breast Augmentation?

+2

Not at all.  In fact this is a fairly common time for women to seek out their options for improving appearance and self-confidence. Women in this category, having gone through child-bearing, often notice a loss in volume and the effects of gravity. Augmentation will adress both the volume loss and the sagging, which doctors call ptosis. Marked degrees of sagging may benefit from a breast lift as well.   Another consideration is mammography, which is somewhat more difficult with the implants in place. Mammography will be considerably better if the implants are placed under the muscles. But again, age is not an obstacle as long as a patient is fit and healthy.

New Haven Plastic Surgeon

I am 47 year old with small sagging breasts that barely fit into an A cup bra. Am I too old for breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

47 year old and Breast Augmentation

+1

I have many patients in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who have elected to undergo breast augmentation.   If the patient is in good general health and has no breast issues, breast augmentation can offer a very good solution to micromastia.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

You are not too old for breast augmentation!

+1
There is no upper age limit on breast augmentation. As long as you are healthy and have normal blood work and preoperative clearance, you should be a good candidate. Depending on how much sagging of the natural breast tissue you have will determine whether you need implants or implants and a lift at the same time. Also, we offer the new Vectra 3D imaging so that women can see how any size implant will look in their body before surgery. It makes choosing the right implant size for you much easier. Try to find an experienced plastic surgeon who offers this service for increased peace of mind. Best of luck.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

47 is NOT too old for breast aug.

+1

No, 47 years old is not too old for breast augmentation!  My oldest patient was a 70 year old woman and she had an excellent surgical outcome.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Age

+1

No age is not a factor for considering breast augmentation. If you are in good health and your blood tests and medical clearance shows no abnormalities then you are a very good candidate for the surgery.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Not too old for breasts improvement

+1

Dear Irene,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Breast augmentation and improvement is not exclusive to young patients. On the contrary, many patients undergoing the surgery are in their 40s and 50s while some patients even in their 30s may not be as good of candidates as ones in their 40s.

Age is not the only variable to consider before recommending a breast augmentation procedure. The amount of breast tissue, the elasticity/laxity of the skin as well as the remaining anatomical features are the main players to be considered.

With that perspective, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with a solid advise.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.
I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast implants at 47?

+1

Just because you are 47 does not mean you can not have breast implants. Often a lift is needed as well in women who have had children.

Is Age a Factor?

+1

Your age is not even a consideration for me.  The most important thing is that you are healthy enough to undergo a short, low-risk, outpatient surgery.  I have many patients over age 50 having this procedure performed regularly. 

John K. Wakelin III, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Right Age for Breast Augmentation

+1

Many women your age have breast augmentation and they love it. Provided that you in good health, it is no problem. If you feel good about it, go for it.

Michael Horn, MD