I Have 450ccs High Profile Under Muscle & Want to Downsize?

I've seen 2docs & both say I can downsize from 450ccs to 300ccs without needing a lift. I have 3 babies, I'm 28yrs old & weigh 130lbs. 5'7" tall. I wish to downsize cause 450ccs puts me at wearing a 34DD & I wish to be at a 34C. 1doc said he wasn't sure if he'd recommend the high or moderate plus profile due to width being small on high pro & he suggests I go down to 280ccs. Does pocket need to be "fixed" altered when downsizing? Will I really not need lift & acheive my goal of a smaller look?

+2

Whether you would need a lift or any pocket revision depends on your anatomy...your current pocket size, your skin "envelope" and its tone and elasticity, etc. Answering your question would be difficult without a careful examination.  Just in terms of Mentor implants, for example, your 450cc High Profile implants are the same width (12.8 cm) as the 375cc Moderate Plus implants and the 300cc Moderate Classic implants.  And some small decrease in width may be acceptable as well without having to "close down" your pockets.  How well your skin may "spring back" after a significant volume decrease depends on your skin tone, and even with examination this may still represent an educated guess.  You could always change to a smaller implant, give your skin plenty of time to redrape, and only proceed to a lift later if it was needed.  If your skin is already pretty stretched out (and was very deflated prior to your augmentation), you may already have the answer and could proceed to a lift at the time of implant exchange.

Concerns about Downsizing of Breast Implants and Capsulorrhaphy or Breast Lifting?

+2

Unfortunately, without direct examination and a full communication of your goals it is not possible to give you precise advice. I think your best bet is to carefully select a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve their goals with revision breast surgery. Communicate your goals (and any concerns such as breast implant movement/displacement) clearly with your plastic surgeon in person.  Any other concerns such as “sagging” or position of the nipple/areola complexes should also be addressed.

This communication will be critical in determining which operation and breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “34C” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Downsizing implants, what are the pros and cons?

+1

There are several problems that can occur when you downsize implants.  It is possible that you may need a lift or a revision of the implant pocket.  The decision of between the two depends upon a physical examination and an understanding of the diameter of your existing implant and the replacement implant.   

Downsizing of Breast Implants?

+1

I think it’s a good question but a difficult one to answer without clinical examination and a full communication of your goals. However depending upon the quality of skin and the current location of NAC it may be possible to give you smaller breast without lift by closing some parts of your implant cavity. Which parts should be closed depends upon where exactly the new implant should be placed. These are only the guideline that I would follow if I had a situation like this.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing to a smaller implant

+1

It is difficult without seeing your breasts to make a surgical plan.  Whether or not you need a lift is greatly determined by the quality of your skin and the thickness of your breast tissue.  For example,  women with stretch marks across their breasts will not have a lot of skin contraction when moving to a smaller implant because of the existing damage.  It truly depends on where you are starting out.  I would recommend discussing your concerns with your PS.  I hope this helps you. 

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing breast implants

+1

I am rather surprised and disappointed in the responses I see posted at this point. This issue really has nothing to do with tissue tone and everything to do with how implants behave like a foot in a shoe. 

Implants do not lift the breast and removing volume or removing them does not make them sag. Properly fitted implants do not stretch or distort the breast and removing them, like removing a pillow from behind your head, does not require tissue or skin "recovery" or a lift if you didn't need one before. 

An implant is sized by the width to fit the width of your breast. For round implants this also determines the height of the implant. The only proper choice is the forward profile ranging from low to medium to high (for the same width). Your tissues will accommodate this forward volume within the range if the diameter fits the width of your breast. If you want to reduce the volume of an existing implant you can drop from a high to a medium or low profile but not more than that. The width has to remain the same or very similar as the pocket size (and the width of your breast) is not going to reliably shrink. Only the forward tissues allow for this. "Fixing" the pocket dimension is not only difficult and expensive but the implant will still not fit the breast if it is too narrow for the width of the breast. 

You (or the surgeon) can't just "pick a size" and make it work putting an implant in and you can't do it when you go to reduce the size of the implant. The implant has to be sized properly to fit and look right and there are only three choices of forward profile in gel-filled implants (four in saline-filled). Find out what profile you have now and the width of the current implant. See what your profile options are for downsizing while keeping the same diameter implant. That will tell you what your size/volume options are in cc's. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing implants

+1

Just like adding implants minimally alters the shape, just the fullness, downsizing also usually not not affect the shape though by going to medium profile it would be less full at top of breast.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing implants

+1

Downsizing is possible without requiring a lift in some cases. Often, the capsule has to be adjusted for a smaller implant.

Concerns about down-sizing with Breast Implants - do I need a lift?

+1

Thank you for your very important question.  It is always possible to reduce your implant volume.  What's important is to assess your breast tissue and skin - elasticity, excess.  You would need to have your Plastic Surgeon examine you carefully, take measurements and work out what would be best implant volume and projection to achieve your desired size.  Then assess your skin to determine if you will need some adjustment to give the optimum result.  Hope that this is helpful and good luck.

Christopher J. Inglefield, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Can I downsize breast implants without needing a breast lift?

+1

As has been stated it is hard to give you more specific advice without good photos or even better an exam. In general I think that decreasing implant size by 150cc without tightening up your tissues somehow may give you a result you are not happy with. The pocket around the implant now fits the larger implant so if you put that much of a smaller implant in there will allow it to move around more following gravity in the position you are in. For instance they will fall more to the sides while laying down and lower when you are standing up. Remember I am staying this without the benefit of examining you so I would ask the board-certified plastic surgeon you see if they think this will happy and how they might prevent it without a lift and if they think your breast tissue will be more lax and saggy. I wish you well.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS