I Am a 38 Year Old Mother of Two. Will a Tummy Tuck Work For Me?

I Am a 38 Year Old Mother of Two I Was Once 245lbs and Lost Down to 160 I Alot of Loose Skin Now Will a Tummy Tuck Work for Me

Tummy tuck will remove excess loose skin after massive weight loss

+1

Thank you for your question. congratulations on your weight loss that is fantastic. A tummy tuck following significant weight loss.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is experienced in body contouring surgery and has an excellent reputation in your community.

Not all plastic surgeons aren't comfortable doing body contouring after massive weight loss. Be sure to ask the surgeons you see if they have experienced at these techniques.

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement for massive weight loss

+1

If you have gone from 245 lbs to 160 lbs then you certainly will have a great amount of loose skin.  The excess skin may extend to your back as well.  You may benefit from an abdominoplasty with a posterior continuation which is called circumferencial body lift.  The other aspect of the tummy tuck which is very important is the repair of the fascia.  Fascia is the suppoer layer that provides the tone to the abdominal wall when the muscles are not actively contracting.  If you are not planning on having more children, I recommend the use of mesh reinforcement.  People who have had massive weight loss have loose and damaged fascia from stretching.  Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcemenht is an excellent technique to help reduce weight and maintain the reduced weight.  There have been several article published recently in Plastic and Reconstructive Journal describing this technique.  You may be a candidate for this procedure.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck.

+1

Thanks for the question.  It's really impossible to say without a photo or a chance to perform a physical exam.  However, anytime someone has gained and lost a considerable amount of weight they typically have loose skin and "stretched" abdominal muscles.  A tummy tuck is able to address those issues better than any other type of cosmetic procedure.  But again without seeing your photos its difficult to specifically say.  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck for Me?

+1

It is not possible to comment about your situation without an exam or at least a photo but, in general, women who have had children and those with significant weight loss often will benefit from a tummy tuck.  If you have a lot of loose skin then a tummy tuck should help to achieve a better contour to your abdomen.  The question may be what type of tummy tuck you need.  Many patients who have had significant weight loss would benefit from a more extensive procedure such as a belt lipectomy that extends the incision and tissue removal all the way around the body onto the back.  A board certified plastic surgeon should be able to give you advice about what options may work best for you.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for loose skin

+1
Dear Cicelia, Thank you for the question and congrats on the weight loss. It sounds like you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Of course you would need to be seen by a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss the procedure in detail. Best of luck...

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck for loose abdominal skin

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss.  Tummy tuck will probably be the right operation for you. Occasionally, patients who have lost a considerable amount of weight simply require panniculectomy or excision of the skin envelope of the abdomen.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss what options would be available to you.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Would a tummy tuck work for me?

+1

Thanks for your question, and first of all, congratulations on the accomplishement of such a large amount of weight loss.  You should be very proud of yourself.

I think that you would likely be a very good candidate for body contouring procedures (tummy tuck, breast lift, posterior lift, etc.) after that amount of weight loss.  Schedule an appointment and evaluation with a board certified surgeon to discuss the details and explore your options. In the meantime, prepare yourself both mentally and physically for the surgery. Eat well, increase your protein intake, supplement with vitamins, continue to exercise daily, and make sure to stop smoking if you currently do. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Probably

+1

You would need a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, but you probably will benefit from a full tummy tuck. It will get rid of excess skin and tighten the stretched out muscles.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck works very well after weight loss.

+1

Hi.

From your description, you should be a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  Exactly what kind of surgery depends on your individual anatomy, of course.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy Tuck to Remove Loose Skin

+1

Hi Cicelia,

Congrats on your weight loss. Assuming you are in good health, you sound like a candidate for the Tummy Tuck Procedure.  When you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon be sure to inquire about:

• Tummy Tuck Technique
  • Location of Incision (the scar)
  • Type of Anesthesia used
  • Pain Control- Pain Pump 

Surgeons approach each of these things differently, and you should learn about each before you commit to surgery. In my own practice I use the Lockwood Technique of Tummy Tuck , locate the incision well below the panty line, use IV Anesthesia instead of General, and insert a Pain Pump to make the post op period more comfortable.  

Ricardo L Rodriguez, MD

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD