I Was a 32A and I Wanted to Be a C Cup and Got a 34D to DD. I Would Like to Downsize Without a Lift?

I got breast implants about a year and three months ago and they are still sore and I think they are to big. I went from being a 32 A to a D and in some bras a DD. I said I didn't want to be any bigger than a C cup and he said that a 350 cc filled to a 380 would be perfect but I would like to go down a cup size but I don't want to get a lift.

Down Size

+1

There are two issues you are speaking about. One is size and the other is appearance. You would need to decrease your implant by 100cc to get a cup size difference.  Ultimate bra size depends upon where you buy your bra.  In terms of the need for lift that has to do with nipple position.  If you posted some pictures it would be easier to evaluate whether you needed a lift.  I suspect that since you are asking that you probably do need a lift. You may be able to get by with a concentric lift which would require a scar around your areola without a lollipop of anchor component.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Downsize

+1

I feel it takes 100 ccs downsize to make a difference. Bra size is hard to predict because of many variables. The nipple position will want to move down with the smaller implant. You can except that or have some kind of mastopexy. I always try to do the most conservative mastopexy that will correct the problem.

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing combined with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift for optimal results

+1

At size 34 each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  When you received a 380 cc implant, you went up 3.8 cup sizes and that is why you are a DD.  If you want to go from an A to a C then you will need 200 cc implants.  Many patients believe that the only way they can have attractive breasts is through breast augmentation.  However, there is a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift, which allows the breast to be reshaped to increase projection and repositioned to increase upper pole fullness and cleavage.  The operation is done through a circumareola incision avoiding the lollipop or boat anchor shaped scars, which are unsatisfactory to patients.  I recommend Implant Exchange with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

380 cc A to DD

+1

Downsizing is an option and the decision to lift would have to be made by your plastic surgeon.  Sometimes a lift can be avoided, but, to some degree, this will be based upon the volume loss.  I must say that an A cup going to a DD cup with 380 ml is a bit of an enigma.  I have put in 400 in many women and they do not even go up 2 full cup sizes. 

Downsizing breast implant size without a lift

+1

It is possible to go down in implant size without having to do a lift. It really depends on whether or not you needed a lift to start with, have had drooping since the augmentation, and the quality of your skin. If you have good skin quality and breast tissue, and no drooping, you may not need a lift. You can exchange the implants and then allow time for your own tissues to tighten around the smaller size. If you have drooping or stretch marks or thin skin, you may need a lift at the same time. Also, in terms of implant sizes and cup size- there is no direct conversion of volume to cup size. A general guideline is that every 150-200 cc adds one cup size, so if your augmentation is with 380 cc, you can reasonably expect to go from an A to a C. Like I said though, this is not a direct conversion, and factors such as the width of your breast and chest wall, amount of native breast tissue, shape of chest wall, skin quality, etc all factor into what size you will be. So a 380 cc implant on you can look completely different than the same implant in another woman. Also, cup size varies depending on the brand of bra, so while you may be a D or DD in certain brands, you will be a C in others.

Web reference: http://www.anitapatelmd.com/PhotoGallery_BreastImplantRevisionExchangeorRemoval_400163.aspx

What to do if your implants are too big

+1

I'm sorry that you did not get the postoperative result you were hoping for.  I would recommend that you not concern yourself with cup sizes as they can differ so much from bra to bra.  If the shape and size of your breasts are not what you would like, they can certainly be revised.  As to the need for a lift if you downsize your implants, this is a very individualized question and will require an exam from an experienced surgeon.

Though others here and elsewhere indicate that many women are unhappy with their implant choice, this has not been my experience.  Using sizers to accurately estimate the patient's wishes works well for my practice, while I find that animations and photo manipulations may not give accurate assessments. In the end, the judgement of the surgeon is also critical.  

The difference in your look with 50 or 100 or 150cc less in your implants is impossible to assess without examining your body.  Imagine a 300cc implant in a 4 foot, 100 lb woman- this would create a large breast relative to her small frame.  The same implant in a 6 foot, 180 lb woman would look much smaller.  It is the size of the implant relative to your frame that creates the size and shape of your breast after surgery.

If you did not need a lift before your first operation that was only a bit over a year ago, it is very likely that you can get smaller implants and not need a lift now.  See a board certified and experienced plastic surgeon to get a good evaluation.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

I Would Like to Downsize Without a Lift?

+1

There are no fixed definitions of cup sizes, and may patients have bras that fit that are up to 3 different sizes. Many of us try hard not to speak in terms of cup size at all. 

That said, many contributors to this site will estimate that it takes 150-250 cc per cup size increase. One might expect a two cup increase for a 380 cc implant. Determining how much to downsize is the most difficult sizing decision. One thing that can be helpful on the day of surgery is for your surgeon you aspirate the implant until the size looks ok to you and the surgeon. This can be done in the pre-op room under sterile conditions. 

As to the need for a lift,without a photo I can't speculate. 

Thank you for your question, all the best. 

Exact breast sizing with implants...

+1

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the results you hoped to get.  Implant sizing is not an exact science, though.  What I mean is that the implant volumes do not correlate well to any particular cup sizes.  And, your bra size is dependent on things other than just your breast volume: your chest width, the bra brand and style, etc.  So nobody can look at you and look at an implant and tell you for sure what final cup size you will wear.  Our best educated guess is what we have.

There is a better way to visualize your final results, though: Vectra 3D imaging can show you what each implant will look like on your chest.  Anyone having an initial consultation for breast implant surgery would do well to seek out this technology before having the surgery done--that way, no matter the final cup size, you'll know what your breasts will look like after the surgery.

As far as downsizing your current implants and not needing a lift, I would need a photo to answer that question.  You would need a lift if your nipple position is low or you have loose skin.  Otherwise, you could just downsize without a lift.  Good luck!

Not happy with size

+1

I agree with most of the other surgeons in the thread, speak with your plastic surgeon to see what options are available to address your concerns.  It is difficult to comment on whether a lift will be needed without pictures.  Good Luck.

Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing implants

+1

Unfortunately, many women are not happy with their original implant choice.  Even after spending hours selecting the best implant size and shape, the result is not what the patient was expecting.

Fortunately, remove and replace procedures are easy to recover from with minimal pain and discomfort.  Rarely are lifts needed at the same time.  I would recommend returning to your plastic surgeon and explaining your situation to him/her.  They may offer you some discount or deal on the second procedure.  You could benefit from switching to a different style implant like a high or ultra high (gumdrop) implant.

Good Luck!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon