I Am a 28 Year Old Male 1 Week out from Liposuction of the Upper and Lower Abs and Flanks and See No Difference?

I was told I was a good canditate for lipo and would see significant results and change. 1 week out I still am pare shaped and my love handles are still very prominent. I know they say it takes months to see results, but I dont see how my stomach is going to change significantly from now until then. I still seem to have large areas of fat and my stomach is not even close to being flat. I had high hopes and I am now beginning to feel very discouraged. I got my surgery done at sono bello.

Waiting for results after liposuction.

+2

Thank you for your question.  It is very common for patients to be concerned about the final results of the liposuction procedure 1 week after surgery.  You will likely have the maximal amount of swelling during this time as the body is going through the healing process.  Although there are only small incisions made to perform you procedure, there is a lot of healing going on under the skin.  Whenever healing is required, cells are sent to that area and fluid is the way the cells move from place to place within the body.  Once the healing cells are no longer required, the swelling will significantly decrease.  In addition, during your procedure, your surgeon most likely added fluid to the treatment area to prevent fluid shifts from occurring.  This added fluid will also need to be eliminated by the body before you will see your results.  Lastly, the skin tightening that occurs with Smartlipo takes 6 months and longer before the final tightening is achieved.  I would suspect you will see a much larger difference 3 months after your procedure.  I hope this helps.  Best wishes!

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time and results following Liposuction

+1

At just one week following liposuction, it is still very early in the healing process and it is not unusual to feel discouraged at this point.  You are probably still significantly swollen at it can take several months for the swelling to totally resolve.  Wearing compression garments and massaging the areas can help speed the recovery.  Check with your surgeon to see how many milliliters or cc  of fat was removed.  You will then have a reference point from which to assess your results.  Check back with your surgeon. But give it more time.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo recovery time

+1

You are in the beginning stages to healing; your body will still be slightly swollen and bruised.  You will see results over the next few weeks; it will take up to 6 months to see your final result.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

1 week after abdominal liposuction

+1

Usually some visible improvement is seen right after surgery, but sometimes swelling can overtake this by the first week.  It will likely continue to improve over the upcoming months, but your surgeon should be able to talk with you about what to expect and address your concerns.  Good luck!

Michelle Spring, MD

Early Discouraging Liposuction Results

+1

While it is true that it does take months to see the final results of liposuction, most people do see some positive change even in the first few weeks after surgery. So your reason for discouragement is understandable but it is just one week and swelling can obscure even early results. You need to give it a full three months before passing final judgment on the success of the procedure. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction at one week

+1

At one week after liposuction, it is difficult to see the results usually because of significant swelling that develops.  You will need 3-4 months to see results but even then you may still have some swelling.

How are your liposuction results now?

+1

Your question just popped up for me, but it was posted nearly 7 months ago.  You should have your final results now--how are they?

Carmen Kavali, MD

Liposuction Results

+1

Thank you for your question. Everyone heals differently, so you might still be healing with some concurrent swelling. I would  recommend wearing the compression garment as long as you can to help with the swelling.  It may take 6 weeks to see result, and up to 6 months for final changes. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

+1

After 6 months, you should have a good idea of the result.  If you still want more liposuction done, find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures and liposuction revision procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA