I Am a 27 Yr Old Female and Am 5'7'', 130lbs, 34A, and Very Active?

Being active is very important to me and I'm running into a conflict debating implants. I also have Pectus excavatum (very mild). While happy having a slender figure, having this issue and being 34A affects how I look in clothes on a daily basis. The textured implants below the muscle were recommended so for placement which run the risk of shifting. how impeded will my active life be with these implants? I swim, run, do pilates, push ups, pull ups...and the like a few times a week.

Implant size for active lifestyle

+1

This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:  I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast implants for a slim, active woman

+1

In Santa Barbara I see so many patients just like you- never have I seen one unhappy after their surgery.  I regularly recommend smooth round implants so the postoperative shape, feel,  and movement is natural, and I use a dual plane position for the same reasons.  The key is using an implant that is not too large- one that will give you some curves where you want it but not get in the way.  Having performed such surgery on amateur and professional athletes who commonly surf, swim, run, cycle, and even Pilates instructors and gym trainers who routinely do push ups and lift weights, they have always been happy with the "athletic" look of small to moderate implants placed in this fashion.  Good luck!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants for Active Women

+1

I regularly perform breast augmentation surgery for patients who participate in body building, fitness and figure competitions. While many are initially concerned about sub-pectoral placement and the potential for distortion of the appearance of augmented breasts when the pec major contracts, I am absolutely confident that the aesthetic outcome for these patients will be far superior with implants placed under the muscle.

A pre-pectoral implant in a slender patient, especially one with well-developed muscles, looks just as you imagine it would: like a foreign object, not like a natural-appearing breast. The muscle does not have to contract for a pre-pectoral implant to look unnatural in this group of patients - it looks unnatural every minute of the day.

Achieving the ideal aesthetic position for a sub-pectoral implant requires release of part of the inferior origin of the muscle from the chest wall. I perform the minimal release of the origin of the pec major that is required to get the implant in an ideal position vertically, but also weaken the origin in the area where muscle contraction tends to displace an implant. As a result the vast majority of patients have little to no distortion of their breast appearance when the pec major muscles are tensed. Patients also do not experience any loss of function, strength or range of motion from release of this very limited part of the pec major origin. Many patients have indicated that their natural (but augmented) breast appearance has provided a significant advantage for them in competitions.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Activity and implants

+1

I am not a fan of textured implants, because I do not think that they move as well as smooth ones do.  It should not restrict your activity after the initial healing phase.

I am very athletic female interested in breast augmentation. Suggestions?

+1

Having performeed breast augmentation on a number of very active females I have realized that it is very important not to enlarge the breasts too much, otherwise they may interfere with sports. I, generally, use smoth implants and place them under the muscle but other surgeons have different approaches with good results. Your bectus excavatum may be left alone or corrected with fat transfer. You should consult with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience with breast augmentation and someone who are comfortable with. Good luc!

George Lefkovits, MD

Implant choices

+1

Each surgeon has their own preferences and recommendations. I prefer smooth implants to textured for example. Pocket generation is the important step. postoperatively however, I prefer limitation of the tone and bulk of the pectoralis muscle. The muscle attaches to the breast bone, and the arm bone(humerus). Lets say it is 8 inches long. You put a fist sized implant under the muscle, it now needs to stretch or elongate to 9-10 inches for example. The more you tone and bulk the muscle the less likely it will be for the muscle to do that. Usually it squeezes the implant and makes things less natural. I suggest toning the rest of your body just limit the pectoralis muscle development.

I would also suggest staying on the smaller size due to your activity level and to avoid over stretching the muscle as well.

Good luck, and follow your surgeons advice for activities post operatively.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Activity after implants

+1

Different doctors have different opinions on which implants to use and where to put them based on their training and experience.  If you go to ten different doctors, you might well get ten different opinions.  With that in mind, you should definitely go with someone who can examine you in person.  Those of us on this website are just answering in generalities and can't get very specific with you.  That said, I have many athletic patients.  They generally don't want to go too big when it comes to implant volume.  Again, the size is something you need to work out with your examining doctor.  Also, I think that under the muscle placement is probably the preferred location for most patients and doctors.  It takes a little longer for the chest muscles to stretch out in order to accommodate the added volume but, once it does, it should not impair your athletic endeavors.  Hopefully, once they have settled you will forget that they are even there.  As a d octor, that is when you know you have hit a home run.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast Augmentation and Concerns about Breast Implant Shifting (for Athlete)?

+1

Thank you for the question. You are wise to consider the potential risk/complications associated with breast augmentation surgery; for example, breast implant displacement issues can arise despite best efforts and regardless of the type of breast implant used.

The most important decision you make when it comes to breast augmentation surgery will be selection of plastic surgeon.  Your plastic surgeon will be responsible for developing the breast implant “pocket”;  careful dissection of this pocket will be the key to decreasing risk of a variety of different breast implants malposition problems.

You may also find that your plastic surgeon will advise you to avoid certain exercises such as push-ups for a prolonged period of time after the procedure is performed.

Ultimately, you will need to weigh the pros/cons of breast augmentation surgery  as it pertains to your individual situation.  If you do decide to proceed, select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate the specific of your lifestyle/activity and goals clearly.

Shifting Implants with Athletes?

+1

The athletes who are most likely to have displacement would include bodybuilders and powerlifters.  I have seen many from other surgeons and performed many on these individuals.  I would say that the displacement has less to do with the type of implant and more to do with how the pocket is dissected.  If the pocket is dissected without the ability of the implant to laterally migrate, the likelihood of displacement is nearly nil.

Implants and active lifestyles?

+1

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Most of the patients I operate on for breast augmentation are very active, do workouts, training, yoga, even crossfit, and tolerate their implants very well without affecting their lifestyle.  Being as active as you are, however, I agree with textured implants as they are less likely to displace, especially if you are putting them under the muscle.  A smooth implant under the muscle tends to lose cleavage over time, in my experience, as the muscle is pushing the implants away from the sternum, even if you disinsert some of the muscle from the sternum.  Make sure your plastic surgeon is well versed in a fit and lowfat population and you will do well.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon