I Am 24 Years Old.. Should I Get a Pre-op Mammogram (After Negative Ultrasound) Before Breast Augmentation?

I am a size 32A, 24 year old F getting a breast augmentation. Plastic surgeon advised getting an Ultrasound rather than Mammogram pre-op due to my age. I got the US & all results were negative. However, before I went in to get the US the radiologist advised me (as her personal opinion) to get a mammogram as a further precautionary measure, as well. I am concerned for the radiation exposure, especially since I have no personal or family history of breast cancer/problems. What should I do?

Preop mammogram for breast augmentation?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  This a great question, which is often asked by patients.  There is no link to breast implants, either saline or silicone, and cancer.  All supporting literature has demonstrated this fact and no association with cancer, autoimmune disorders, or autoinflammatory disorders. 

It is known that women are more in tune with their breasts and more diligent with examination and feeling/knowing the contour of her breasts, thus able to identify any abnormality sooner, with breast procedures.  Imaging studies of the breasts are similar to imaging without breast implants and cancers are not hidden either by the presence of breast implants.  It is true that with breast implants do obscure a portion of the breast during imaging studies, but with the Eklund displacement views, which should be done when having mammograms with breast implants, there is minimal change.  I typically recommend a preoperative mammogram prior to breast surgery, since the architecture of the breast will change.  The decision, at your age, will ultimately be yours.  You should remain proactive with your monthly self examination, annual clinical examination, and mammograms beginning at age 40 (unless family history, as directed by the Radiological Society), and annually thereafter.  If there is anything concerning on mammogram, other imaging modalities would be utilized, including ultrasound and/or MRI.  Best wishes!  Hope that this helps!

Mammogram

+1

There is no medical indication to get aroutine mammogram on a twenty four year old woman with no symptoms, examination findings, and negative family history

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Mammogram in 24 year old with No Family History before Breast Augmentation

+1

A mammogram would not be necessary for a 24 year old with no family history and typically contributes very little due to the dense nature of breasts in women of that age.

Mammograms and Breast Augmentation

+1

Usually at your age with no personal or family history I do not recommend any breast imaging prior to augmentation.  If you did have a positive history then a mammogram would be recommended.  I follow the American College of Surgeons guidelines for mammography starting at 40.

I would not get any more imaging in your case.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Mammogram and breast augmentation

+1

Many surgeons obtain a pre-operative mammogram or ultrasound prior to breast surgery to have a baseline study.  However, based on what you are saying -- no personal or family history of breast disease and a young age -- you are very low risk.  Most likely, since your ultrasound was negative, a mammogram is unlikely to provide more information.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram prior to breast augmentation

+1

At 24, unless there is some family history of an aggressive breast cancer, I don't understand why you would need either study for a screening study. The diagnostic yield of both is very low and breast radiation has a some indefinite risk in the young woman who seem to be at a higher sensitivity to this.  There is simply no justification for these studies as a screen for breast cancer unless there is a mass that needs evaluation. Then it is routine to request a mammogram. Whether it is really necessary would be up to your radiologist. I would seek out to a facility that has well respected, dedicated breast radiologists.  

David R. Stephens, MD

24 and desire breast augmentation

+1

Some surgeons suggest getting a mammogram prior to breast surgery to establish a baseline.  At age 24 with no family history it is really up to you and your surgeon.  Good luck.

Screening mammograms at 24 are not recommended

+1

Sorry, but without specific family risk factors there are no recommendations for a breast ultrasound or a mammogram before your augmentation. When things don't make sense its is a red flag and you might consider another opinion.

Mammograms with Breast Implants:

+1

There is a very small radiation risk with any xray or mammogram.  Population data for screening demonstrated a benefit for "all women" after age 40 and now age 35 if at risk.  At age 24, without other risk factors, you may have greater piece of mind with the ultrasound or mammogram, but this is balanced by the radiation exposure.for mammogram and the cost for either test.  For my family, I would not recommend a mammogram or ultrasound.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

No Mammogam for Young Woman

+1

If you have no personal history of breast masses/lumps or other breast problems, and you have no family history of breast cancer, then even the ultrasound would generally not be recommended. Current guidelines do not recommend a mammogram for you.

Good luck with your augmentation!

Andres Taleisnik, MD