I Am 24 Years Old, 5'1'', 118 Lbs and a Size 32 G. I Want a Breast Reduction but Not Sure How Small to Go?

I suffer from extreme shoulder and back pain and I have been talking to my doctor about a reduction. I don't have the money to pay for it so I would like the insurance to cover it, but I know they require a certain amount of breast tissue to be removed. How can I know how much to remove to relieve the back, shoulder and neck pain for my frame? I just want to be proportional, I don't want to be completely flat.

Breast Reduction Size

+2

An in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reductions is where you need to start.  It is true that most insurance companies do require a minimum amount of breast tissue to be removed to get coverage, and your doctor can help you find out what your specific health insurance plan will and will not cover.  He or she can also help you understand what size you might be after surgery once that certain amount of tissue has been removed.  Proportion is always the goal, not a specific cup size.  Hope this helps!

Breast reduction questions

+2

Thank you for the questions. Your questions can be addressed with a plastic surgery consultation. During the consultation, your hopes and desires and concerns are evaluated. The treatment options are given to you. That includes the type of breast reduction and the amount of breast tissue to be removed. The surgery, the outcome of surgery and complications are all addressed during the consultations. You should ask to see for before and after photos. It is also helpful if you take photos with you.

After the consultation, your surgeon will submit request to the insurance company. Best wishes. 

Best wishes

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast reduction for very large breasts is covered by insurance.

+2

Hi.

From the measurements you give, I am pretty sure that you can end up a nice C cup, and have your surgery covered by insurance.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

"G" cup and reduction

+2

Without an exam, it is difficult to say what would be  best for you, but I will say that in my practice a woman with extremely large breasts will still have reasonable amount of tissue left to create a good shape and size.  Remember in order for the nipple-areola complex to survive it needs a certain amount of tissue to be attached, and in order for the skin to close around it and be viable, it too needs a certain thickness.

Breast reduction sizing

+2
Each insurance company will have its own guidelines as to the minimum gram weight which must be removed for coverage of the procedure. If you are a G cup, you will certainly meet those guidelines. In a younger patient, my inclination is to go on the smaller side as you will likely gain some weight as you age. Experienced plastic surgeons who perform breast reductions regularly will be able to discuss sizing with you in specific terms and in relation to your frame. This is a wonderful procedure with an extremely high patient satisfaction rate.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Reduction; Concerns about Resulting Breast Size?

+2

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for this very patient pleasing operation.

The majority of patients that I see in the office seeking this operation share your goals. They wish to have enough breast tissue removed to decrease/alleviate symptoms while retaining enough breast tissue to remain “proportionate”.

In my practice, I like to use goal pictures so that patients can communicate what they find to be attractive breasts as well as what they find to be too big or too small…

As you continue the process of preparing for breast reduction surgery, make sure you educate yourself about the potential risk/complications associated with procedure, the potential for abnormal scarring, and the potential need for further surgery in the future.

When the time is right, select your plastic surgeon carefully. He/she will be able to guide you as to how much breast tissue may have to be removed to reach your goals and will help you communicate with the insurance company as well.

You may find the attached link helpful to you.