I Am 15 and I Want to Do IPL Hair Removal but my Family is Very Worried About That?

I have heard that you must be over 18 to do that. Is there any risks about that??

Laser Hair Removal Under 18 Years Old?

+2

Hi Ann.  The risks for a 15 year old are not different than a 25 year old when it comes to laser hair removal.  If the hair you have is thick and dark, you are a good candidate regardless of age.

What you should understand are the risks associated with laser hair removal generally (blisters, burns) and which type of laser technology is most appropriate for your skin type.  Good luck.

IPL Treatment at age 15?

+1

Thank you for your question. Laser hair removal may be done at any age. However different offices may have different protocols. There are more effective hair treatment lasers than IPL that may be more suitable for you, depending on your skin type and ethnicity.  I would recommend a  consult and treatment under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for best results and safest treatment options.  I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Laser hair removal and young age

+1

Laser hair removal is safe to do as long as the medical clinic where you are getting treated has experts working there, using the right settings, and the best laser equipment. Age 15 is fine for laser hair removal, although the older you are when you do your treatments, the less likely you'll need to repeat treatments down the road. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating people under 18 with laser hair removal

+1

Personally, there are children that I treat with laser hair removal, as long as the parent is there, in the room (with goggles on), and the parent signs a consent. There is no difference in treating a person under 18 or over 18, but it's a matter of consent; the risks are the same. Shop for an office with a physician and a well-trained staff; absolutely not a salon or random place without a physician involved.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD