Hysterectomy over Tummy Tuck Incision - Should I Consult my Plastic Surgeon?

My gyn will perform a total abdominal hysterectomy incision over my 2001 tummy tuck incision. Should I consult the dr who performed my tummy tuck first? Please respond ASAP. Thank you very much.

Hysterectomy over tummy tuck incision

+1

YES, you and the GYN should consult with your PS or find another PS. In fact maybe the PS can open the incision for you. I have done this many times.

Regards from MIAMI Dr. B

Hysterectomy after Tummy tuck

+1

You should absolutely NOT have a hysterectomy through an incision “over” your abdominoplasty scar. Although you have probably reestablished some blood supply from the muscle layer, and, maybe, some through the scar, the blood supply to the skin above the scar is coming from superolaterally. Placing an incision above the old scar cuts off this blood supply and there is a good chance that the new wound will not heal well or that the skin between the two incisions will die. Therefore, your gynecologist should do his/her procedure through the old scar. If he does not feel comfortable doing so, by all means talk to your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Hysterectomy through tummy tuck scar

+1

There is nothing that they can harm doing the surgery straight through the old tummy tuck scar assuming yours was the usual tummy tuck.  It would save you a second sacr to do that.  

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Advisability of having a Hysterectomy through old Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

There is NO reason why you should not have your hysterectomy through your old tummy tuck scar. Doing so will save you from another much un-needed scar.

For best results, your Gynecologist should bring together ALL the subcutaneous tissues, especially the SFS layer with which Plastic surgeons are extremely well acquainted. Failure to do so may result in an indented scar.

If you want to save yourself the hassle and worry about the gynecologist closing the wound nicely (IE no staples, buried stitches that do not need removal, best scar) why not pay your Plastic surgeon to come close your hysterectomy incision for you? You will have to arrange this in advance and while some gynecologists may get their feelings bruised by this request, the vast majority are used to it and do not care. It makes the operation shorter for them and they genuinely like seeing the Plastic surgeons who they normally do not see everyday in the OR.

Just ask.