Will a Hysterectomy Affect Mommy Makeover Results?

I am considering having a Mommy Makeover (Breast Lift, Breast Implants, a little Liposuction to the hips, umbilical hernia repair, and Tummy Tuck). I am quite certain that I do not want any more children. Will a Hysterectomy effect my cosmetic results?

Hysterectomy and tummy tuck

+3

If you are planning on having a hysterectomy I would recommend having that surgery performed first and the tummy tuck second.  You can have them at the same time if needed although I prefer to keep the procedures separate and maximize the tummy tuck result when performed.

Dr Repta

Hysterectomy and Mommy Makeover or tummy tuck

+2

You may want to confer with your Plastic Surgeon and your OBGYN because these two operations can often be performed together.  I have performed this on several occasions in my practice, but it usually required the patient to be admitted to the hospital for a day or so. There should not be a higher rate of complications if the postoperative care is good, and  DVT( blood clots in the legs)  precautions are followed while you are recovering in the hospital.  You should be encouraged to be out of bed and should move your legs as often as possible.  While in bed SCD compression devices should be used on the calf muscles.  This will help to increase the circulation from the legs back up to the heart.

These precautions would all be discussed with you by your Plastic Surgeon and OBGYN hopefully.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Tampa.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Hysterectomy could affect tummy tuck results

+2

A hysterectomy after a tummy tuck could damage the result. I would have the hysterectomy first and then follow with the tummy tuck.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover and Hysterectomy

+2

From a results standpoint, the hysterectomy mostly affects the tummy tuck component. Because the uterus occupies some space within your abdomen, removing it allows for more tightening of the abdominal wall (resulting in a flatter abdomen.) If you are planning the hysterectomy, either do it before or during the tummy tuck (ideally, not after). If you perform the hysterectomy after the tummy tuck, you don't get the benefit of further tightening the abdominal wall, and the procedure is more difficult. Hopefully they would not do it open (as that effectively would repeat 1/2 of the tummy tuck) and if done laparoscopiclly, the visualization afforded to your gynecologist will be poor (because the stomach wall will be tight and insulflation will result in a smaller space in which to work).

Dr. B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Don't have hysterectomy together with mommy makeover.

+2

Hi.

You increase the risk of serious complications by having too much surgery together. A mommy makeover usually means a breast lift and a tummy tuck, and this is plenty of surgery to do at one time.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The Best Results Occur When the Hysterectomy is Performed Before or During the Mommy Makeover Procedure

+1

Once a woman makes a decision to undergo a hysterectomy, it often represents the beginning of a new phase in their life. Many of these women hope to reverse the changes associated with pregnancy by undergoing a mommy makeover at the time of their hysterectomy. The mommy makeover often includes cosmetic breast surgery, abdominoplasty, and liposuction with a hysterectomy.
When a hysterectomy is added to a mommy makeover, it adds significantly to the operating room time. This usually results in the procedure being done on an inpatient basis, as opposed to an outpatient basis. It’s important to have good communication between the plastic surgeon and gynecologist so that the procedure is well-choreographed to minimize operating room time.
The best results occur when the hysterectomy is performed before or during the mommy makeover. There is no advantage to performing the hysterectomy after the mommy makeover.
When the enlarged uterus is removed at the time of the abdominoplasty, it facilitates flattening of the abdomen. This occurs because there are less intra-abdominal contents and this allows further tightening of the abdominal wall.
This type of combination has an increased potential for complications. For this reason, patients should undergo a comprehensive medical evaluation before proceeding with surgery; Make sure your plastic surgeon and gynecologist have good communication and have co-ordinated their surgical plans. With this type of coordination, cosmetic results can be excellent.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Results?

+1

Having a hysterectomy,  either separately or at the time of the mommy makeover procedure,  should not necessarily affect the results of the procedure.

The most important factor involved I believe is a quality of work performed by your plastic surgeon. Make that choice wisely.

Hysterectomy and tummy tuck

+1

If you have had a tummy tuck and now need an abdominal hysterectomy I suggest having your plastic surgeon communicate with the gynecologists.  If done thoughtfully, the hysterectomy should not affect a prior tummy tuck.

Some women will arrange to have both a tummy tuck and hysterectomy at the same time.  This can be a great way to address to concerns at once.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover and Future Procedures

+1

A hysterectomy should not have any effect on the cosmetic result you get from a tummy tuck or Mommy Makeover. These procedures are often performed together with gynecologic procedures such as hysterectomy and have the advantage of recovering from both procedures in the same period. There may be other options to avoid getting pregnant again such as a tubal ligation, but you should speak to your gynecologist about that. Your cosmetic result should be no different whether or not you have a hysterectomy performed either at the same or a different time.

Leo Keegan, MD

Hysterectomy and mommy makeover

+1

Hysterectomy can be done at the time of mommy makeover procedure.  Assuming that you are considering hysterectomy for a benign condition, you can undergo mommy makeover with hysterectomy.  Make sure that your plastic surgeon feels comfortable working with your Ob/Gyn.  If you are considering hysterectomy after mommy makeover, hysterectomy should not decrease the overall cosmetic result of tummy tuck.  Just like choosing a well-qualified plastic surgeon, choose a well qualified Ob/Gyn who understands what tummy tuck/mommy makeover is.

Sugene Kim, MD