Can Hypothyroidism Cause Under Eye Bags?

Hi. I have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid. My levels are "ok" as per my family physician. However, I hate my malar bags and under eye bags. How can a doctor tell if these conditions are related to hypothyroidism?

I am considering plastic surgery and my insurance co requires a letter of medical necessity to cover this. What constitutes medical necessity in this instance? Thank you.

Hypothyroidism & Insurance Coverage

Hypothyroidism can cause lower eyelid bags, although it is not a common presentation. It is more likely that you developed the bags independent of your thyroid condition. Insurance companies will only pay for upper eyelid hooding that obstructs peripheral vision - however, this must be demonstrated by a specific test in your Oculoplastic Surgeon's office. In addition, the insurance company usually requires photographs for proofs of substantial hooding - this will be reviewed by a doctor from the insurance company. I hope you find this helpful.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

450 Mamaroneck Ave
Harrison, NY 10528

It is unlikely that insurance will cover any treatment for eye bags

Even if it can be shown to be due to hypothyroidism, which I'm not sure it can, this condition would still considered "cosmetic," and as such I'd be very surprised if any insurance company would cover its treatment.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

9333 Genesee Ave
San Diego, CA 92121