Am I a Candidate for iLipo With Hypothyroidism?

Hello, I have Hypothyroidism and am considering I-Lipo. However, I have read that the way I-Lipo works is by exorcizing after and then the body metabolizes the fat away. I exercise all the time and eat healthy--but my metabolism does not really work due to my thyroid. If my metabolism is not high-functioning, would this treatment still work when I exercise after the treatment?

Hypothyroidism and liposuction

+1

Hypothyroidism slows your metabolism including your ability to heal after surgery. You should not have surgery until you have taken sufficient medication to normalize your thyroid hormone levels. Hypothyroidism can also result in myxedema which is the deposition of connective tissue components in tissue layers deep to the skin. If that is what you have/are seeing it is not amenable to liposuction.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Thyroid disease and lipo

+1

First, I suggest you get your thyroid condition straightened out.  Then once that is properly regulated if things bother you, and you getmedical clearance I do not see why you can not have liposuction if you are a good candidate.

Liposuction and Hypothyroidism?

+1

It would be in your best interests  to have any medical condition ( including hypothyroidism)  fully treated prior to undergoing elective surgery.

The “ideal” liposuction patient candidates present with isolated diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue collection,  with overlying skin that demonstrates adequate elasticity ( to “bounce back” after the adipose tissue has been removed). As you know, it may be very difficult to reach your long-term stable weight with undertreated hypothyroidism.

I would suggest that you work on  achieving an  “optimize” situation with your thyroid medications with the help of your endocrinologist.

Hypothyroidism and Liposuction

+1

Hypothyroidism is either "corrected" (is fully corrected by taking sufficient amounts of thyroid hormone) or "uncorrected" / or partially corrected( in which you get no or insufficient amounts of thyroid hormone and suffer the medical consequences: fatigue, depression, difficulty thinking , feeling cold, gaining  weight due to slower metabolism etc).  Medically speaking, your hypothyroidism needs to be fully corrected and followed up before you consider any surgery, especially cosmetic surgery. Once your medical status is corrected and your weight is stable only then would I consider liposuction IF you had localized fat deposits which could be improved with the operatin.