Hypopigmentation After Fraxel Repair

Are there skin types that are more prone to hypopigmentation after Fraxel Repair? I was 99% sure I was going to have this done, but there are so many negative comments about it on this site and others. A little scared now.

Hypopigmentation after laser resurfacing

+1

Hypopigmentation after laser resurfacing can occur in dark skin colors or in cases where burns or other scarring occurs. From your photo you have a very light skin tone and your chance of hypopigmentation after a properly performed laser treatment is fairly small.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unaware of True Hypopigmentation After Fraxel Repair

+1

Hi Kanikki,

Excellent question.  Your concerns about Fraxel repair are shared by many patients as there are many varied and different comments about the treatment on the Internet.  Many of these comments are the result of other fractionated CO2 laser technologies that have been given the popular name "Fraxel".   I have been using Fraxel repair for nearly 3 years and have not had a single patient with hypopigmentation.  I am not aware of a single report of true hypopigmentation in our medical literature.  If a patient is burned with a resulting scar, then there may be hypopigmentation in the scar.  Fraxel repair is a very powerful, yet safe and effective skin rejuvenation treatment only when used properly.  It is very important to make sure that you choose your treating physician most carefully, preferably one with a great deal of laser skill and experience .  You look great in your photo. Your Fraxel repair treatment would be a "pre-emptive strike" to hopefully keep you looking your best while avoiding surgical lifting in the future.  Please see below web reference.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD