Are Hypertrophic Scars More Common in Upper Abdomen Than Lower Abdomen Area?

Hypertrophic scars

+1

Thanks for an interesting question. Unfortunately, people's genetics probably affect scars the most followed by technique.  For example, scars with less tension usually heal better.  Overall, location is hard to pin down as a reason for more hypertrophic scar except that vertical scars on  the midline seem to be more prone to scar poorly.

+1

I don't think I have seen much difference in scar quality between the upper and lower abdomen. Hypertrophy is definitely more frequent in the midline of the body as opposed to either side, however. Some patients will hypertrophy their scars no mater where they are, and this is a genetic cause. Other patients make perfect scars everywhere. If you are worried about an upcoming procedure, make sure and discuss this with your surgeon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD