Hypertrophic Scarring Post-Acne, What are my Best Treatment Options?

I had PDL laser done a few years ago. In areas that the laser hit active acne that I had at the time, it left hypertrophic scarring. The pimples that were hit by the laser never got a chance to recover naturally. I'm left with raised scars. I thought they would go away but it's been 3 years and theyre still here. The scars aren't raised very high but I can see them under certain lighting and it bothers me. What can I do to improve post-acne hypertrophic scars? Is it true Castor oil helps?

Hello

+1

For acne scars we have a few options for you. We have Profractional laser treatment and micro laser peel. If you are looking for wow results you can also do a mini face lift. Its sounds a little extreme but if you think about it, It is stretching your skin and helping with the deep scars that the laser’s do not touch.

Acne and Laser Treatment leading to hypertrophic scarring

+1

The raised acne scars can be excised. That is the best way to improve these. The goal is to get the skin and scars at the same level or the closest you can get. Then you should laser resurface the area to polish the results. A multilayered approach is the best way to approach Acne Scarring because it involves so many layers of the skin. Laser resurfacing is the main thing I would do at the end.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Excision or laser smoothing works best for raised scars.

+1

Raised scars can be complicated, especially if the scars are keloid scars.  Simple raised scars can be excised or smoothed with a laser.  Keloid scars require multiple treatments with laser, injection, topical medication etc. to achieve an optimum result.  I recommend that you see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in the treatment of scars and has all options available including lasers, injections and surgical scar excision/revision skills.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon