Hypertrophic Scar After Mole Removal. Is it Okay to Leave This Untreated? (photo)

I had a mole removed by a dermatologist, and as it was initially healing, it was relatively flat. After a couple months, though, it formed what appears to me (based on a Google image search) to be a hypertrophic scar (raised, itchy, etc). My question: What if I leave this untreated? I've heard you can get injections, but the scar itself doesn't really bother me (appearance-wise), other than the intermittent itchyness. Will it cause problems, get worse, etc. if I just leave it?

Hypertrophic scar after mole removal

+2

Provided the mole was benign when it was sent to pathology, then it is okay to leave the scar untreated.  Injecting it with corticosteroids can help with the itching, and it can also make it a little softer.  If it doesn't bother you, then you don't have to get it treated. 

Austin Dermatologist

Mole removal

+1

If the biopsy stated that the lesion was benign, then it is fine to leave the scar the way it is.  If it is itching, the corticosteroid may help improve this.  I would recommend that you discuss these options with your physician. 

Sam Naficy, MD