Do I Have a Hypertrophic Scar? (photo)

About 3 months ago I had a bike accident and got road rash on my face. The left side of my upper lip was gashed up pretty bad, but i kept it out of the sun for that time. It has been healing nicely, but there is a very tiny very slightly raised red line approximately 0.4 cm. long. A very good dermatologist told me that its not a scar and will look completely normal on its own, but I am still worried. I recieved a small scrape on vermilion border of upper lip not same color as lip can this be fix

Hypertrophic scar

+2

This appears to be a hypertrophic scar to my eye.

At this point I would only recommend a silicone gel such as ScarGuard MD to flatten this lesion out. Later, if the scar is still disturbing you, a CO2 laser would treat this quite nicely.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Upper lip scar revision for hypertrophic scars

+1

I would treat this hypertrophic lip scar with pulsed dye scar laser and fractional co2 skin resurfacing. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lip scar at 3 months

+1

This is clearly a scar with some hypertrophy. You are only 3 months post injury and it can take up to a year for full maturation to occur. It is possible that at that time this will be inconspicuous that nothing else need to be done.

Presently, I would suggest using a silicone scar cream and a high factor broad spectrum sun screen to the area. If at 1 year this is still raised and not ideal in your opinion, go see a board certified plastic surgeon who could then provide you with helpful information.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD