Hypertrophic Scar Still Red and Raised?

I had Hypertrophic scar surgery back in Jan2009 on my upper back to try and remove the scar. It came back smaller. Its been 3 years & Half of my scar is flat and white like my skin & the other half is Red & Raised, In addition it hurts sometimes. Do I need steriod injections to flatten and lighten the scar? I just want it to be flat and smooth so It wouldn't itch against my tee shirt. Please Let me know I don't want to under go surgery again and stiches!

Treatment of red hypertrophic scars on the face and body

+1

Red hypertrophic scars can be improved in my practice with a combination of IIT and pulsed dye laser.

Hypertrophic scar

+1

your problem is easy to fix. You have a classical hypertrophic scar that will be improved with steroid injections

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Hypertrophic scar red and raised

+1

My first piece of advice would be to go back to your surgeon to have the scar evaluated and see what options you may have to improve it.  Steroid injections can help with hypertrophic scars, but they normally work best when used on a scar that is not as old as yours.  There are some laser treatments that may help reduce the red color as well.  The most important thing you can do is to have the scar examined in person though.     

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon