Hypertrophic Scar Revision? (photo)

My tummy tuck was performed on 8/2010. My healing process was tedious and I had rope like scars that often burned, stung and swelled daily. So, my Dr. performed yet another surgery to correct the hypertrophic scars the following yr 8/18/2011. He also injected my scars with a steroid during and every 4 mos after surgery to take away the pain and so hopefully I wouldn't scar this time around. Now, it's 11/2012 and I still have the same symptoms plus light spots from the steroids. What can I do to fix this?

Hypertrophic Scar Revision?

+1

Hypertrophic scars can be a problem without a good solution, as you must be aware of by now. Steroid injections, which are the "gold standard" haven't worked, and in fact caused problems with pigmentation. A scar revision didn't seem to help.

There are some topical agents that are pretty harmless and sometimes work, such as mederma, kelocote, scarfade, and others. I would certainly try those before giving up or trying more surgery. Some lasers also can work for this type of scarring. In some patients, however, nothing works. 

Your own surgeon can be your best resource in sorting through the possibilities and in monitoring the response. Thank you for your question and for the helpful photos you have attached. All the best.