Hypertrophic Scar from Cutting a Growth Near My Eye. What Can I Do? (photo)

I have this raised scar which I think is a hypertrophic scar as opposed to a keloid, because I haven't seen it grow. 4 months ago I had this dark-brown indented spot near my eye which I didn't like. So I thought I would stupidly use a sharp instrument to scrape the surface of that area until the brown came off. I probably scraped off like 1 to 2 millimeter of skin off the surface. 4 months has passed and it is still a raised bump and it's still red. Is there anything I can do to diminish it?

Hypertrophic scar near the eye: What to do?

+2

Scraping off the skin in this manner will lead to a scar as wide or wider than the injured area.  An elliptical scar revision following natural skin tension lines in this area would like give a good result.  We actually make incisions in this area for tear drain surgery and once closed, they fade away nicely.  You appear to have very smooth skin and may have a thin scar that can appear red for several months, but will likely fade in time.

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scars near the eye from surgery

+1

The red scar near the eye will benefit from pulsed dye laser to calm the scar process and improve the visibility of the scar.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS