Can Someone with Hyperthyroidism Have Rhinoplasty Done?

I've been wanting to have rhinoplasty done for a long time now. The only thing holding me back is my hyperthyroid, medication helped my thyroid go hypo but now its back to hyper(it's unstable my doctor has been trying to get it under control). I haven't spoken to my doctor about possibly doing rhinoplasty because she strongly believes in natural beauty. I'm also worried about the scarring because my cuts heals very slowly and turns into scars most of the time. What would you recommend for me?

+2

Dear Terinov,

Thank you for your question.  I would work on having your endocrinologist get the thyroid undercontrol to normal first.  After that, you should be a good candidate for rhinoplasty.  If you are worried about scars, then a 'closed' rhinoplasty could be performed with no external scarring. (all the incision are on the inside of the nose)  However, I have never seen a bad scar from open rhinoplasty.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1
Well controlled hyperthyroidism should not be a contraindication to rhinoplasty surgery. Best to have documented ( lab tests) well-controlled thyroid hormone levels for at least 3 months prior to proceeding. Your internist/endocrinologist will be your best resource when it comes to good advice regarding timing of the procedure. Best wishes.

Can someone with hyperthyroidism have rhinoplasty done?

+1

The answer is yes, someone with hyperthyroidism can have a rhinoplasty
performed. The overactive thyroid would need to be under control prior to having
any surgery. In general, it is important to fully disclose the following to your
surgeon prior to having surgery:

1) Any medications you are currently taking
2) Medical issues that may affect the surgery

Scarring is not something to worry about with rhinoplasty as long as the columellar incision (if the procedure is open) is performed properly. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Any experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon would decline to perform the surgery without a medical clearance from your endocrinologist which is unlikely in uncontrolled hyperthyroidism.  The increased hormone could create a metabolic issue with you during the Rhinoplasty and your safety should always be the first priority in any surgery or procedure.

Rhinoplasty for someone with hyperthyroidism

+1

It's always best to make sure your thyroid levels are within the normal range, and not being too high or too low. This will affect the healing process and most anesthesiologists will not place patient's to sleep under anesthesia unless there is an emergency. Best to have  an endocrinologist adjust  your levels, and then proceed with  the elective cosmetic nasal surgery. Closed rhinoplasty technique would avoid  an external incision on the nose. Please see our closed rhinoplasty  photo gallery on the link  below

Can I have a rhinoplasty if my thyroid level is high?

+1

I would do your best to ensure that your thyroid hormone is properly balanced before undergoing any type of cosmetic surgery. I wouldn't say that it is a contraindication to doing surgery but it is best to make sure that you have managed all of your medical problems in order to optimize your healing. Follow up with an experienced endocrinologist to try and get the thyroid hormone blanced.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Rhinoplasty on Patient with Thyroid Disorder

+1

You can have your rhinoplasty when thyroid balance has improved. Your surgeon and medical specialists will decide when you can have the operation.

+1

Hyperthyroidism must be controlled prior to surgery.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty with Hyperthyroidism

+1

As soon as your Thyroid status is well controlled you can absolutely have a Rhinoplasty without fear of excessive scarring or other healing problems.  A Hyperthyroid state can cause excess bleeding or bruising and can cause issues with Anesthesia but a normal Thyroid level would eliminate all those problems.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon