Hypersensitive Nipples Years After Breast Reduction?

I had a breast reduction and lift Sept 2002 and my nipples are embarrassingly hypersensitive and a padded bra does not really help. What can I do? It has been almost 7 years.

Hypersensitive Nipples after Breast Reduction?

+1

Hypersensitive nipples years after  breast reduction surgery  are very unusual. Unless you're having discomfort however I would suggest you avoid intervention;  in may be much more of a nuisance to have numbness or decreased sensation in the area.  If the hypersensitivity is severe/painful then consultation with a pain specialist may be helpful.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Hyper sensitive nipples after breast reduction surgery

+1

After a breast reduction surgery it is possible to have changes in the sensation of your nipples. This may be the result of the nerves that exit between the ribs and go toward the nipple being stretched or injured during the surgery. If you have uncomfortably sensitive nipples discussion your concern with your plastic surgeon. They may review options with you that can include local injections, nerve blocks, or even the cutting of that nerve.

Breast reduciton and nipple sensitivity

+1

Changes in sensation after a breast reduction can happen. This can manifest as being more of less sensitive.  Overly sensitive nipples are not as common.   Being evaluated by a pain managment phsyician may be helpful.

Difficult problem

+1

Hi there-

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble- breast reduction patients are usually among the very happiest of all.

The only I think that may be worth your while to try would be to locate a physician who specializes in pain management. These physicians are expert at locating the hypersensitive nerves- once located, they can medication to deaden the nerve.

Of course, the down side to this is that you will lose feeling in your nipples after this, so you will have to weigh this against the value of being rid of the hypersensitivity. The doctor you see will be able to educate you about the pros and cons of your options.

I wish you well.