Hypersensitive Nipple on One Side Suddenly After 5 Years Since my Augmentation, Why?

My right nipple suddenly became hypersensitive 3 months ago, its been hurting on a daily basis, on occasion itll suddenly desensitize only to return a few days later and continue to hurt on a daily basis. The slightest touch or when my loose clothing rubs slightly against it, it really hurts. I had to buy a new tight fitting bra just so it wouldn't rub against anything. I had a breast augmentation about 5 years ago. I never had any problems until recently. Any ideas? 

Sudden hypersensitive nerve?

+1
Dear KB,
In general, this is very uncommon.  However, rarely a capsular contraction can envelope a nerve and the compression or pulling on the nerve can cause this problem.  A capsulotomy may help to alleviate the problem.
Best Wishes, 
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Sensitivity after Breast Augmentation-see your doctor for an exam

+1

Nipple Sensitivity is uncommon after Breast Augmentation, especially after 5 years and on one side only.

In my experience it can indicate capsular contracture or scar formation around the implant or a change in implant position that is compressing the nerve to the nipple.

There are of course more serious but rare issues such as infection or very rarely a cyst or tumor that must be ruled out.

See your doctor for a minimum of a breast exam and Mammogram to have this checked out.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Nipple sensitivity

+1

Thanks for your question.   An acute change in nipple sensitivity five years after your augmentation is unusual and must represent something new developing.  You do not state your age but any change in your hormones, ie pregnancy, menopause, hormone supplementation might change your nipple.  Also trauma, encapsulation, and unfortunately malignancy might change a nipple's sensation.  Please see your PMD and/or plastic surgeon to be evaluated.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Nipple sensitivity

+1

It is unusual for the nipple to have these strange sesntivities issues so long out. It is best to be examined by your surgeon to make sure the implant is ok. 

Breast sensitivity

+1

Nipple pain and/or tenderness is usually inflammatory, and likely represents a cyst, mastitis, ductal inflammation, or infection.  There are, of course other possibilities.  Not likely related to implants, but may be.  Your age, medical and breast history, physical exam, imaging studies, and perhaps biopsy or needle aspiration are likely indicated for both definitive diagnosis and treatment.

Steve Laverson, MD

Nipple hypersensitivity 5 years after BA

+1

It's unusual to have sensitvity changes so long after surgery. I doubt that there is anything bad going on but I would have your surgeon check to make sure you are not getting a capsule contracture, or rupture of your implant. In the meantime tape a pad over your nipple so it doesn't rub against your bra. You can also try either Arnica cream/gel, or capsozin. Both are over the counter.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Nipple Hypersensitivity 5 Years after Breast Augmentation

+1

Unfortunately, I don't have any great ideas to share with you. I do think however that your symptoms do warrant in person examination by your physician. Radiologic evaluation may become necessary also.