Hyperpigmentation After Laser Hair Removal, Permanent? (photo)

I was wondering if hyperpigmentation after laser hair removal is permanent? I had laser hair removal done 4 months ago and everything was fine. But a couple days later when I shaved I developed folliculitis. But when the folliculitis went away it left hyperpigmentation. I have been prescribed hydroquione but i don't know if its been working. I have dark spots on my face and it's been 3 1/2 months! Is this permanent? And how long does it usually take to go away? Thank you!

Hyper-pigmentation varies from patient to patient

+1

Thank you very much for your question. Hyper-pigmentation varies from patient to patient depending on skin tone. Typically patients with darker skin do pigment darker and for longer periods of time. The combination of hydroquinone, laser treatment, and retinols can be used to tackle this issue. It’s important to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist if you have further questions.

Keep following up with Doctor

+1

Hydroquinone does take time so be patient. The hyperpigmentation should get better with proper treatment.

J.P. Souaid, MD
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation after laser hair removal

+1

Hyperpigmentation can be permanent after a burn, yes. But not always. Treating it with hydroquinone takes time - a lot of time - for it to go away and lighten. It's also very important to keep out of the sun and wear sunscreen daily. Burning or tanning the area only increases the melanin there and keeps the hyperpigmentation up. See your dermatologist again soon, and see if you may need a higher concentration of HQ. I usually start people at 8%, but will go all the way up to 16% over a steady amount of usage time.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD