Treatments for Hyperpigmented Scars?

Is there something I can use to remove hyperpigmented scars and/or return skin to its natural color? I am an African American female, fairly light skinned, age 28. I suffered from Dermatillomania through out my teenage years and now that I am an adult, the condition is under control.

However, I have terrible scar damage on the face, arms and chest - breast area. The scars are flat, but are light in center and dark brown on the outsides, almost like an outline.

Treating hyperpigmented scars

+3

The treatment of hyperpigmented scars can be challenging. Moderation is often the best course, particularly early on in the treatment process especially in dark skinned individuals, First, it is key to use sun block to minimize sun exposure to the region of concern. Second, there are a number of skin care preparations that can address the inflammation associated with the hyperpigmentation as well as the darkening itself.

Your physician can ask a local compunding pharmacy to mix up a special preparation of Retin A, Hydroquinone, Kojic Acid, and a topical steroid into a formulation that can be applied topically to the regions of concern. I would consider this conservative approach prior to moving on toward lasers and other more complicated treatment options.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hypopigmented and Hyperpigmented scar removal with Melarase creams

+1

I would begin with topical application of a skin lightener such as Melarase creams twice daily to lighten the dark discoloration. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Maybe a scar revision trial

+1

You might try a scar revision on one of them to see how it does. This can usually be done under straight local in the office. If the healing is kind, you could treat other scars by revision as well.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Pigmented Scar Treatments

+1

Hi NJNena,

In the pictures you show on the site, we think that you need two different types of treatments.

For darker marks, you will benefit from either hydroquinone bleaching creams, q-stitched lasers or both together.

The lighter areas are more challenging and should be treated using Excimer lasers. This type of laser is commonly used for vitiligo repigmentation in patients with your skin type. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD