Hyperpigmentation Risk from Light Laser Resurfacing?

How high is the risk for light laser resurfacing to cause hyperpigmentation (example active/deep fx)? Although my derma says that my complexion is pretty fair, I do have some olive in my skin because of my Italian/Russian nationality. I have hyperpigmentation from sun tanning and acne spots now but I would like the tigtening effect that the laser says it can do for the skin. Thank you for your time!

Avoiding PIH with laser resurfacing

Microablative Fractionated  CO2 laser is the treatment of choice for your skin condition. The laser will need to be adjusted if your skin is thin or atrophic.  Some patients need to be pre-treated to prevent PIH.

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Hyperpigmentation with laser resurfacing

I usually prep most of my patients before and after fractional co2 laser with topical skin creams such as Melarase, but an examination is needed to assess your risk.  Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

There is always a risk with resurfacing

Any procedure in terms of resurfacing can cause hyperpigmentation. You may want to have a test spot done first, away from the central face, to see if it develops pigmentation. If it does, then don’t do the procedure, but realize that if it doesn’t you may still pigment when it is done on the rest of the face. Make sure you use sunscreens every day with both ultraviolet A and B protection

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Hyper-pigmentation occurs from inflammation and is based on how much melanin is in your skin

Dermatologists rate skin color from1 to 6. Type one is the fairest and type 6 is the darkest. You sound like a type 3. In other words, you can tan lightly on sun exposure. Depending on which laser and how aggressive the settings are, you may experience some hyper-pigmentation. Typically, hyper-pigmentation can be treated with lightening creams which your dermatologist would be well aware of.

Good Luck!

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

25500 Rancho Niguel Road
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677