Hyperpigmentation from Laser Resurfacing for Tanned Caucasian?

I am highly considering laser resurfacing (Pearl Fractional) but I'm very worried about hyperpigmentation. I'm a tanned caucasian. Should I fear?

Do not have laser resurfacing if you are tan

+1

You are correct to be worried about hyperpigmentation after laser resurfacing when you have a tan.

Although laser resurfacing will remove most of the superficial tanned skin cells., the treatment will not be entirely uniform and blotchy pigmentation after the laser resurfacing is likely.

Because the sun tan has activated the melanocytes in your skin (melanocytes are pigment cells), there is an increased risk of hyperpigmentation after laser resurfacing when you have a tan.

Wait until your tan has gone away.

Hyperpigmentation from Pearl Fractional

+1

Hi Waldo,

Generally speaking, the incidence of hyperpigmentation for caucasians for this type of ablative procedure is low. There is normally just not enough melanin in the skin to create a visible (brown) traumatic response.

With that said, depending on what your Fitzpatrick skin type is I, II or III will make a big difference in how predisposed to this type of trauma response you are after the treatment. Your physician should give you the skin typing questionnaire or talk to you about your heritage to determine what skin type you are.

For safety's sake, make sure you are NOT tanned when you have the procedure and stay out of the sun for at least 4 weeks afterward or until complete healing has taken place. Hope this helps.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD