Hyperpigmentation from Acne on Face, Back and Chest. What To Do?

hi so ive suffered from acne since i was a teen im now 21. my doctor has gotten my acne under control now but i have so much dark spots all over my body. ive tried lazer treatment on my face but they didnt work barely lightened anything. now im looking into chemical peels is that a good idea? and what type of peel is common?

Dark Spots And Scarring From Acne

+3

Dark spots and red marks are common on the skin after acne has resolved and a frequent reason why patients will see a dermatologist. In general, these marks fade over time. However, if they have been present for a while and you have seen no results, there are a number of treatments you can use to speed up the process. Using a lightening regimen with a topical Vitamin A cream and a hydroquinone is one recommendation that can help. Glycolic chemical peels is another alternative. 

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Discoloration From Acne - Treatment Options

+2

Discoloration or dark spots (typically brown or red) are commonly seen after acne lesions have resolved.  They can be very difficult to treat and are a common reason for patients to seek out a dermatologist in the first place.  While it can take months to years, these dark spots do eventually fade on their own.  In the meantime, there are several treatments which can help speed up the process including topical treatments such as hydroquinone, topical RetinA, and other topical lightening agents, as well as office-based treatments including chemical peeling.  Chemical peels, when done appropriately for the problem and skin type, can be helpful in lightening dark spots.  Typically glycolic peels are most suited for improving discoloration and best results are seen with a series of peels spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart. Lastly, it is essential that you protect these spots from the sun by practicing strict sun protection measures. 

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/conditions.php?id=19

Hyperpigmentation from acne.

+1

Dear writer, Preventing future pigmentation from acne is just as important as treating the current hyperpigmentation that you have. Therefore, make sure your dermatologist formulates an effective acne treatments for you, and please refrain from picking any acne lesions. In order to lighten the current dark areas, you may use one or a combination of bleaching cnreams prescribed by your doctor. Remember that sun avoidance is crucial to avoid further darkening of pigmentation. Lastly, you may choose to do nothing and wait for these hyperpigmentation areas to slowly fade on their own. Best, Dr. Bowes

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon