Hyperpigmentation and Rash After Veinwave?

I had a veinwave treatment on both my lower leg, I still had hyperpigmentation after a 6 weeks and was put on a retinol and hydroquinone cream, which has helped but I also have this itching rash on the lower legs now that I've never had before. It is better when I wake in the morning then gets worse as the day goes on, I've tried steroid cream, clarinitn everyday, the only thing that relieves the itching is Desitin cream, but doesnt make it go away. Have you seen this before? What can I do for it?

Hyperpigmentation and Rash After Veinwave

+1

Thank you for your question. The hyperpigmentation is likely vein material still reabsorbing, or blood particles trapped, primarily the heme portion of the cell.   This usually resolves on its own over time.  You are likely experiencing a reaction from the retinol, which can cause dryness, redness, peeling, and itching. I would recommend discontinuing the treatment and practicing good skin care with a mild cleanser and moisturizer. Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and seek a consultation if it does not improve.  I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Itching after Retin-A and Hydroquinone therapy

+1

Retin-A and hydroquinone commonly cause contact irritation or dermatitis, which is usually easily treatable by temporarily stopping these medications and applying a prescription topical corticosteriod cream or ointment until healed.  However, you should see your treating physician for a thorough evaluation, diagnosis and discussion of treatment options.  Good luck.

Robert Strimling, MD