For Hyperidrosis, Should Botox Be Used on 13 Year Old?

Botox hyperhidrosis treatment for pediatric patients

+2

It depends on your goals and where the hyperhidrosis occurs.

The most common areas of PRIMARY hyperhidrosis occur in the palms, underarms and feet. Typically, it is palmoplantar (palms and feet) or underarms, palms and feet.

In my opinion, Botox is best for underarm hyperhidrosis and in special cases for the palms and feet. It has been shown to be safe when applied in pediatric patients by experienced practitioners who have done so. Note, the FDA warning very recently for Botox in general.

I would reserve Botox to the underarms area as the number of injections (needle sticks) is few. It works effectively.

I provide comprehensive hyperhidrosis care as a board certified thoracic sureon and I believe that you should have your son evaluated by someone who provides ALL (and I reiterate), ALL tratment options for hyperhidrosis, not one or the other.

This includes:

1) ability to diagnose and treat hyperhidrosis properly with anticholinergic medication;

2) to identify those patients that are candidates for iontophoresis and get the insurance to pay for the machine;

3) try topical agents for underarm hyperhidrosis;

4) find optimal candidates for Botox injection and treat them appropriately with all options that reduce injection related discomfort;

5) have experience in properly doing suction curettage for underarm hyperhidrosis, and;

6) perform effective sympathectomy.

In Israel, studies have shown that the younger the sympatehctomy procedure done, the less likely the incidence of compensatory sweating. The youngest patient I have operated on was 8 years old.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Hyperhidrosis in Los Angeles

+1

Our office specializes in treatments for hyperhidrosis including Miradry, Botox injections, Xeomin injections, and topical treatments.

Treatments for hyperhidrosis are based on severity rather than age.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles, Plastic Surgery

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Hyperhidrosis For A Teenager

+1

There is no right or wrong answers for hyperhidrosis in a teenager.  I recommend conservative treatments to be explored first.  If the hyperhidrosis is severe and is causing social embarrassment, Botox may be helpful.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyperhidrosis in children

+1

Hyperhidrosis can be a devastating condition to deal with in social settings whether you are a child or an adult.  Botox can be a viable option for both children and adults.  I would spend more time with the parents and child in question to make sure they understand how Botox works, and the possibility of requiring treatments 2-3 times a year.  Depending on the location (e.g. armpits), I would also offer alternative effective treatments such as miraDry.  

Depending the child's age/weight, I would also recommend starting with a lower dose with the option of adding to the dose if the desired effect is not achieved .

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Botox may be used for hyperhidrosis in a 13 year old...

+1

the treatment is for people suffering from the disease of primary hyperhidrosis sufficient enough to cause problems and may be used in adolescents but perhaps it would be best to start with a reduced dosage and work up from there...no inherent problem using the drug even though the patient is youthful...although Allergan notes the safety and effectiveness of botox under age 12-18 has not been established

Ken Landow, MD