What Causes Excessive Sweating?

I am a heavy sweater and I notice, visiting relatives, I feel it is genetics. Does it matter being black with thicker skin?

Hyperhidrosis - Race or Skin color ?

+2

Hyperhidrosis is equally distributed in the races or skin colors and there are no published data except in Asians where there may be a racial predilection for hyperhidrosis. Asian Americans in one study showed a slightly higher incidence of hyperhidrosis. This was not of statistical significance.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Experts in Hyperhidrosis Treatments

+1

About 1 to 2 % of the population suffers from hyperhidrosis. Both Dr. Hratch Karamanoukian and I specialize in treatments for hyperhidrosis.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles, Plastic Surgery

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Hyperhidrosis, or excess sweating, has many different...

+1

Hyperhidrosis, or excess sweating, has many different causes. Some of these are genetic and anxiety can worsen the condition. Race and skin type generally don't play into excess sweating though.

If it is a problem, I would suggest seeing a neurologist to ensure that there isn't something more dangerous causing the problem, then simply treat the symptom with either Botox or other systemic medications.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyperhidrosis is excessive perspiration of specific...

+1

Hyperhidrosis is excessive perspiration of specific parts of the body. The most common areas are underarm, groin, and hands. It usually starts during adolescence and seems to be genetic.

Anxiety can make it worse. It is interesting that some people get nervous because they sweat, then sweat more because they are nervous.

Botox offers a great solution to this problem. However, there are other treatments available like medications or even surgery.

Payman Simoni, MD