Do I have hyperactivity of the orbicularis oris? Will botox/dysport fix my hidden top dry lip? (Photo)

When I press down above my lip, more of my 'dry' lip is visible & i would love this to be permanent. Ive had juviderm b4 but this gave me a trout pout, the thinness stuck out more, it didnt roll up more of my dry lip. Recently an injections nurse put a small amount of Dysport (15units) into the area but the effect was minimal & didnt last long. Want to know if botox/dysport is the best way to correct my hidden top dry lip or if theres another procedure thats better? Id love this fixed ASAP. Thnx

Show more dry lip

• See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to assess the proportions of your lips.
  • The photo suggests a lip lift might be helpful.
  • Botox or Dysport will not help - the nurse clearly did not understand lip dynamics.
  • Fillers along the white roll of the lip with roll it up. That plus a little filler in the red lip - and you should have the look you want. Definitely not an injection nurse.
  • If not fillers, a Permalip implant (they are so small you want the large size) 
  • Or you can try fat injections which can look natural but cause severe swelling for about 1 week. Best wishes.

Lip Flattening When Smiling

Fillers can work to lift/evert the lip if done properly.  You must go to an experienced injector.  however, what I have also found to be very effective for this beyond a lip-lift surgical procedure which I perform, is Ultherapy or Thermage.  These are dermal heating procedures used to stimulate collage growth and have both been found to be effective in lifting and tightening the skin.  Find a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in all these procedures so they can give you the best opinion.  I do not feel neuromodulation will help this problem.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

? Botox for bringing out top "dry lip"

I think that fillers can help with this if they are done properly. You might want to go for a consultation with someone that does a lot of lip fillers. My preference would not be an injection nurse but an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist