Hydroxyapatite for Cranium Contouring?

I have cranial irregularities due to Craniosynostosis. My head specifically in the frontal region starting at the temples, is extremely narrow. There are many inconsistencies in my foreheads shape as well. Furthermore, they removed a piece of the back of my skull during surgery which has negatively affected the appearance and symmetry. Thus, my head is not in proportion to my body. I have already tried the mesh and screws, would hydroxyapatite give better cosmetic results?

Reconstruction of Temple and Cranial Depressions and Irregularities

+1

Regarding:  "Hydroxyapatite for Cranium Contouring?  I have cranial irregularities due to Craniosynostosis. My head specifically in the frontal region starting at the temples, is extremely narrow. There are many inconsistencies in my foreheads shape as well. Furthermore, they removed a piece of the back of my skull during surgery which has negatively affected the appearance and symmetry. Thus, my head is not in proportion to my body. I have already tried the mesh and screws, would hydroxyapatite give better cosmetic results?"

It is hard to tell ONLY from a single frontal 72dpi resolution what are your bony VS soft tissue deficiencies and, as a result, what would be the best reconstructive options. Only a thorough examination supplemented by a CT or MRI can create such an inventory based on which reconstructive recommendations may be made.

2 generalities:
- Hydroxyapatite is an accepted reconstructive material which can be molded, especially in areas of cranial separation but it is usually hard to lay it across wide areas without difficulty.

- You APPEAR to have wasting of the TEMOPORALIS muscles on both sides. This CAN happen as result of coronal incisions used both in neurosurgery and Craniofacial surgery by injury to the nerve supplying this muscle. the option may be Reconstruction with a custom designed implant that fits exactly in that space.

I would consult with several surgeons to see what are your options.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Hydroxyapatite cement for cranial shaping, molding and sculpting

+1

Hydroxy apatite cement offers the ability to mold and contour the cranium. There are concerns with it's "take" and the possiblity of infection. Seek the advice of craniofacial surgeons in the area with experience in its use.