Is 4% Hydroquinone Remedy for Healing After CO2 Laser Treatment on Upper and Lower Eyelids Effective? 9 Weeks Post-procedure.

I underwent a CO2 laser procedure on lower and upper eyelids 9 weeks ago. I still have redness and inflammation, fading very slowly but still noticeable without makeup. The doctor prescribed 4% hydroquinone to be used twice daily for one month to see if this might help reduce the redness faster. Does that sound reasonable and safe? If this were to be effective, when should I notice a change?

Redness after CO2 laser

+1

Generally, post laser redness is not treated with hydroquinones. That is usually reserved for treating hyperpigmentation. Persistent redness at 9 weeks out is not terribly unusual and should slowly subside over time. The extent of the redness may depend on what type of laser was used, what energy settings were used and how many passes were applied. You should be evaluated by your doctor to determine if anything else could be contributing to the redness such as any topical creams, makeups, sunscreens or soaps and to rule out the unlikely scenario of a skin infection. Hope things go well

San Luis Obispo Oculoplastic Surgeon

Redness and discoloration

+1

Dear patient, Hydroquinone (HQ) is quite safe and has been in use for decades. It is also quite safe around the eyes. Hydroquinone works to reduce discoloration and blotchy skin. Redness will not significantly improve with HQ. Redness means that your body is still healing and making new Collagen. Please be patient and it will slowly fade. It may take 4 months or more! I encourage my patients to use Vitamin E oils and Mederma. Oxygen facials (without Glycolic acid) also help. Finally, consider a good makeup cover such as Dermablend during the healing phase. I hope this was helpful. Yours, Dr. R.

A. David Rahimi, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist