Will Hydroquinone 4% Lighten a Flat Mole and Improve Its Appearance Cosmetically? (photo)

Please let us ignore the fact that hydroquinone may be carcinogenic and simply concentrate on whether it can benefit me cosmetically. I have asked derms if these moles can be removed and told that the resultant scar would be just as noticeable. I have had them lasered which lightened them, but it was crazy expensive. Will Hydroquinone help them blend with the surrounding skin better?

Moles and hydroquinone

+1

Hydroquinone will not help lighten moles. Moles are made of cells called melanocytes that have a chemical in them call melanin. Hydroquinone is not helpful for that. Laser, regardless of the price, will usually not work for moles since they may extend deeper than the laser light will penetrate into the skin

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.