Is Hydrocortisone 1% Used on Face Twice Weekly for 6 Months Ok? Will It Cause Long Term Side Effects of Thinning and Crepiness?

The cream is to treat mild pigmentation caused by childhood sun damage and improve the overall appearance of skin on face, I'm 34. Ingredients are: Hydroquinone 4%, Kojic Acid 4%, Tretinoin 0.025%, Hydrocortisone 1%. Thank you

Hydrocortisone

+1

The ingredients all look good with the exception of hydrocortisone. I would look for a cream without a steroid. Even though hydrocortisone is mild, it still has the potential to inhibit collagen synthesis and cause thinning of the skin.

Boulder Dermatologist

Hydrocortisone on the face

+1

The majority of ingredients in your cream are wonderful for sun damage with the exception of the 1% Hydrocortisone.  Most doctors do not recommend any steroid creams on the face for longer than a few weeks at a time as they do cause thinning of the skin. There are many skin lightening products that are not only steroid free but hydroquinone free as well which are receiving great reviews.  Take a look at Skinmedica Lytera. 

Michael J. Brown, MD
Leesburg Plastic Surgeon