I had hyaluronidase injected to remove juvederm but it hasn't worked?

I had hyaluronidase injected into my top lip to remove lumps but it didn't work? how long of a time span do I need before injection hyaluronidase again and what are some of the reasons for it not working? Thank you.

Hyaluronidase did not work

+1
Sometimes it is better to underdo it and have to retreat than to overdo it and create a depression in the skin.

A second treatment should be more effective.

Hyaluronidase didn't remove Juvederm, why?

+1

A specific dosing is required to get rid of any HA filler. While I tend to be conservative with any hyaluronidase injection, excessive conservatism could mean not enough was injected to remove the filler. I would prefer to inject hyaluronidase more than once rather than over-inject at the beginning. Or, you simply don't have Juvederm in there and there's no way for hyaluronidase to work. Hyaluronidase begins working immediately and is done within 48 hours, so if everything isn't gone at that point, you may need another round of treatment. Or you need to determine if it really is Juvederm to begin with.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Hyaluronidase for Juvederm Removal.

+1

Hi Chad. Here are a couple possibilities.

1. It wasn't Juvederm. If not Juvederm (or another HA filler) then the Hyaluronidase will not work. Was it a reputable practice and did you see the box?

2. It wasn't Hyaluronidase. There would be no way for you to know and it seems unlikely but it's certainly one possible reason it may not have worked.

3. Injection technique was bad and did not get the Hyaluronidase to the right location. If not injected near the site of the lumps or at the proper depth, the Juvederm may not dissolve.

4. Lumps are granulomas rather than product. If this problem is a side effect associated with an immune reaction (granuloma) instead of a product lump, then Hyaluronidase will not work.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD