Hyaluronidase Safe for Use Around the Eyes?

I had Juvederm injected around my eyes. My left eye is puffy it looks like I was punched in the eye, I am miserable with the results. I went back to the doctor and complained about what he had done and asked for Hyaluronidase treatment to breakdown the Juvederm. . . He refused saying that Hyaluronidase would cause my cheek to droop or cause damage to my eye!

Is this true or is this doctor trying to cover his mistake? How safe is it to use Hyaluronidase to remove Juvederm around the eyes? Help !!! Please, I really need to correct this and I do not know what my options are. Thank you for your time.

Hyaluronidase (Wydase) works well to dissolve Restylane and Juvederm

+1

One of the best things about using the class of products called Hyaluronic Acids (HA's) (Restylane, Juvederm) is the fact that they are soft, natural, malleable, and reversible.  This allows us to "go for it" with minimal overall risk.  We use this class of materials over 90% of the time as we llike to "fix" problems and minimize risk.

Specifically, hyaluronidase is used, and has been used in the orbital area (can be used anywhere except if there is  suspected skin cancer at the site of injection.)

When a patient is concerned after a treatment with Restylane or Juvederm, we try to massage and observe as thse products typically do very well over time.  However, we do have instances where patients want some or all of the product reversed.  We simply inject hyaluronidase and it immediately dissolves.  Very nice treatment.

Web reference: http://www.351face.com

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyalronidase works!

+1

If you want to get the Juvederm out fast..the hyalronaidase works well. Alternatively you could give it time and the Juvederm will dissolve away on its own. I think it is your right as a patient to request the antidote to the Juvederm if you don't like it so you should ask your doctor again..or go to someone who will.

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hyaluronidase your best bet to fix hyaluronic acid filler related bumps around eyelids

+1

Periorbital area is one of the most common place to use hyaluronidase. If you want to be conservative, do a test area on inner forearm and evaluate a couple days afterwards to make sure you do not have any allergic reaction to hyaluronidase.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Fillers_for_Wrinkles.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronidase OK around the Eyes

+1

Can hyaluronidase be used safely around the eyes? Short answer: Yes Long Answer: Yes it can but it really depends where your doctor placed the Juvederm. Most applications of Juvederm around the eye are in the tear trough area of the eye and to improve the eye cheek interface. It is a common mistake that I see that HA's are placed too close to the lower eyelid creating an unaesthetically pleasing lower eyelid. It is safe to use hyaluronidase around the eyes but it is dependent on the injector's comfort level with facial/orbital anatomy and knowing the different anatomic planes.

Web reference: http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/index-13.html

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.